1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Wire: Episode 56

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Omar_dont_scare, Feb 4, 2008.

1. Didn't see a thread on this.

Let the discussion commence.

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I thought it was one of the worst episodes I have seen.

All these contrivances are coming the burn them right now.

3. sportsnut

sportsnut Member

I could not agree with you more about episode 56. The episode did not answer any of our questions except I think Gus is feeling something funky with Scott. I am not sure but that was the feeling I got after he asked him about the lady dealing with fraud.

What do you guys think?

4. Michael Echan

Michael Echan Member

Things seem a little complicated right now; too much is going on at once. Gus knows that there's something up with Scott's story, but he can't do anything to prove it or derail it since he's a "golden boy." Someone (Alma? Zorzi?) is going to catch wind of this phony killer -- especially since in previews for next week's show have McNulty begging Lester to get him out of this fake killer bit -- and both the Sun & the BPD are going to come down hard on this...

At the same time, you have Omar going William T. Sherman on Marlo's turf, stopping just short of butchering his family in order to draw him out face-to-face. I, like practically everyone else, am still trying to figure out how Omar survived that fall without having either his tibia or fibula jutting out from his leg. And his limp isn't as bad as what you would think for someone that survived a multi-story swan dive...

All the while, you have Carcetti fumbling around to trying to get money for everyone he promised he'd help, Clay Davis' nose-dive picking up speed, Bubs trying to block out the memory of Sherrod, Herc working for Levy, the Greeks, etc... The Wire usually does a good job at interweaving multiple story-lines, but this season is a little on the disjointed side.

That being said, I haven't missed or turned off a single episode yet. Its still a riveting & powerful show. I can only imagine what the final three episodes will be like.

5. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I thought they implied that Omar had somehow managed to come down in someone's balcony. Or at least that's what I thought when he limped out of that storage room and came out of the apartment building.
    Classic line from Marlo was, "that's some Spider-Man shit right there."
    Loved that one of his guy's dressed up and acted like he was a detective in an attempt to get information.
    It wasn't the best episode, it wasn't the worst.

6. Michael Echan

Michael Echan Member

But you do have to like the scorched-earth attack Omar's taking, though.

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Gus is this season's Bunny Colvin. He knows what's up and when push comes to shove, the bosses will choose Scott's enhanced profile over the grind it out, do it right, editor.

Omar is not long for this world. He's getting sloppy and emotional. But whether he takes Chris and Snoop with him is worth the price of admission.

8. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Sloppy and emotional is the right description. He's a mess and he has very little support left. He's not the Omar of the first four seasons.

9. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

I wish they showed how Omar survived that fall, but him taping the leg up in the janitor's room and waiting a day was smart. He knew they would be looking for him at the area hospitals and had to lay low. But if his leg is indeed broken, you would think he would have to get it fixed at somepoint.

Anyone else think Marlo is worried now? or does he have enough protection?

Scott Templeton going to live with the homeless people was priceless. Talk about a fish out of water. I wonder what he wrote about that Iraq vet. Maybe he made some stuff up about his exploits in Iraq and that's where he gets caught out.

For Carcetti's passion at the press conference, little to show for it. Anyone else think the reporters there could've asked some tougher questions. I realize the FBI question was brought up, but it was begging for some follow up.....How many DTs are on the case, pattern of the killings, etc.

10. Dwizzle P. Catfish

Dwizzle P. Catfish New Member

One thing I did appreciate about the episode was the brief look at Randy from last season when Bunk visited him for questioning.
    Even though he was on camera for only a moment it was clearly apparent what one year at the home had done to him. He used to be a good, respectful kid. After a year he was hardened, the smile was gone and obviously wasn't going to trust a police after what had happened to him before.

11. Giggity

Giggity Member

I love that Bunk is actually on his way to getting the case solved the right way, but Jimmy's bullshit serial killer has the crime lab so gummed up that Bunk can't proceed. Irony. I'm starting to think Bunk might rat out Jimmy before all is said and done. And maybe rightfully so - for one hot second, when Jimmy was first sizing up that transient, I thought he was considering killing the guy to manufacture the extra body they needed. Shows how far Jimmy's fallen.

Also, I'm glad we got one last scene out of Nick Sobotka. I wonder if Ziggy will be back, too.

12. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Loved the Nicky cameo. After that it pretty much went downhill for me. Can't think of an episode I've been more disappointed with (though with the usual caveat that it's better at its worst than most shows are at their best).

Also, I'm wondering if I missed something. We see Templeton showing up under the bridge in the evening, then what I assumed was the next morning. Did he spend the night? Where? I think it would have been awesome to see a shot of him going to bed at his house.

Draft saved Draft deleted