1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Wire, Episode 53, "Not for Attribution"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Double Down, Jan 14, 2008.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I missed something here... are you flashbackin' me?

2. GoochMan

GoochMan Active Member

No, just prognosticatin'. Saw the preview after the ep. 53 credits rolled, and I'm just kinda guessing how the situation is going to play out.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

The McNulty thing is just an extreme example of juking the stats. I find it absolutely believable considering his obsessive behaviour.

4. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

Do you mean Marlo? Omar knows about the card game setup, and has never met Vondas.

5. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

Good episode, all around. The newspaper stuff was better. Still a little black and white for my taste - but at least we got to see our sainted city editor dabble in the whoredom that sometimes comes with this business. And the fallout that followed, with Burrell, Rawls, Daniels, etc. was very nicely done.
    Liked the stuff with Michael, loved Marlo in Antigua. And, as slightly-wacky as the McNulty/serial killer thing is, it made more sense to me this time through. As for Lester, I can see it. He's got the same brilliant arrogance McNulty does, and he's changed since they were chasing Stringer. He wants Marlo at all costs, and now, like McNulty, he thinks the job will save him. He probably won't go as far as McNulty, but he'll cut corners if it means he can die happy. Bunk's different. He's good police, but he's just doing the job, and that's always been his way.

6. For some reason, the McNulty thing makes a lot more sense now that Lester's endorsed it... given Lester's background and past history on the show. It has a "so crazy it just might work" kind of feel.

I've got a bad feeling my namesake isn't surviving the season. And another feeling that Michael might be the one to take him down, and maybe get caught doing it.

I also would add Rawls to the "no redeemable qualities" list.

7. GoochMan

GoochMan Active Member

Sorry...fixed.

8. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

I watched an episode on HBO randomly and loved it, despite not knowing the back stories of characters. Since then, I've seen the last four episodes of season 4 (OnDemand) and the beginning of season 5. Should I stop now, but the Season 1-4 dvds and start over?
    So far, my favorite line from the show, from Method Man - "You know who has the fattest asses and tightest pussies? ... Midgets."

9. sportsnut

sportsnut Member

I would recommend that you start from season 1 and watch it all the way to season 5. But you don't have to since each season has its own story that does not always jump into another season.

You will still be able to enjoy season 5 even without the full backstory.

10. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

McNulty has been in two of the three funniest scenes so far: the frustration of getting a crappy cruiser and having to take the bus; then having at it with the barfly on the hood of a car in the police lot, getting the spotlight on him, flashes his badge and continues on his merry, drunkenly-adulterous way.

Wait for it.....

JIMMAAAAAAAAAY!!!!!!!!!

[​IMG]

Oh BTW, anyone else somewhat turned off by McNulty truly losing his mind with this whole serial killer-bit?

11. Bill Brasky

Bill Brasky Active Member

I have big problems with the whole McNulty losing his mind over the serial killer thing. There are posters who bring up good points about this being a continuation of the whole "juking the stats" thing. And the deal with McNulty is that he always thought he was too smart for the police department. To him, this is an example of how he pulled some crap over Rawls and Royce and forced them to do real police work. But it still seems too far out there. Watching him go through that crap last episode....I reacted just like Bunk.

12. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

The McNulty thing also seemed a little better for me this week too.

Man, Omar is going to go on a rampage.

Draft saved Draft deleted