1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Wire, Episode 53, "Not for Attribution"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Double Down, Jan 14, 2008.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Feel free to share your thoughts here. I'm still trying to catch up.

2. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

A little clunky with the McNulty story line, but the drama involving Omar at the end was brilliant.

Oh and the newspaper bits were solid too (but I could see where this may all get a little distracting if the whole Marlo, Omar, Prop Joe thing blows up).

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I especially like what they're doing with Michael. He's obviously not as connected with the street as the end of last season would have us believe.

4. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I have done what Alma did at the beginning....

Loved the "dead-wood" comment by wise-ass and what transpires next.

And Daniels comment about his quote in the paper tells us all we need to know about that asshat at the Sun.

BTW, what did Daniels do way back when that is looming over him and his ex-wife?

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

We don't know, yet, but it's been hinted about through the whole series. Probably involves money.

6. djc3317

djc3317 Guest

i was wondering that same thing myself.
    this omar thing will be great.
    as i was getting at on the other thread, i don't like the execution on this mcnulty thing. it just seems too out-of-left-field, and maybe out-of-character, to me. and now they've implicated lester in the whole thing, which seems even more unbelievable, based on what we know about these characters.
    line of the night: "Nice dolphin, nigga."

7. GoochMan

GoochMan Active Member

Love seeing the plot starting to develop. Is it just me or do you all get the sense that Freamon is going to slide away from this 'serial killer' mess while McNulty catches it full force in the end?

Cool Lester Smooth, indeed.

Also, Chris Partlow is the consumate strong-arm man: smart, silent and psychopathic. It looks like there's trouble ahead for my man Slim Charles.

'Now where my Cheese at?'

8. sportsnut

sportsnut Member

I loved this weeks episode even if some of the parts was a little out there like the McNulty serial killer bit.

Alma's character is great as the rookie reporter doing her best to get the story. I have done the same thing when I worked at my first newspaper and waited to get the paper off the press so I could smile and cry over what the copy desk did with my story.

Omar is going to cause allot of throuble for Marlow and the Baltimore PD.

9. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Watching 25th Hour with Ed Norton, and Isiah Whitlock (Clay Davis) has unloaded three "Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeit"s in 10 minutes.

Weird.

10. Bill Brasky

Bill Brasky Active Member

I think it's been implied that he was on the take...that everyone in his district was crooked and he was caught up in it too.
    The whole McNulty storyline bothered me...he just seemed too off the rails.

11. Dedo

Dedo Member

It's not Slim Charles who sold Omar out. It's Cheese. He's the one who figures to be due for an untimely demise.

The "deadwood" stuff at the Sun was solid, if a little predictable. It's been mentioned by others before, but it seems like Marimow and this Scott kid (and maybe Clay Davis) are the only characters in the show who aren't shown to have even the slightest redeeming value. But overall, this episode addressed some of the newspaper issues a bit more realistically than the previous two shows, so there's hope for that storyline yet.

The Michael-Dukie-Bug trip to Six Flags was a feel-good moment and sparked some hope about their future -- which, given the history of this show, leads me to believe something terrible is about to happen to one of them.

As for the serial killer angle -- as shocked as I was when McNulty started this whole thing, it didn't surprise me at all to see Lester jump on board. He's as single-minded about bringing down Marlo as Jimmy is. We'll see if Omar gets to him first.

12. GoochMan

GoochMan Active Member

Indeed. But in the preview to Ep. 54, Omar puts a gun to Slim's head. I'd venture to guess that's Omar working his way back to Prop Joe and, eventually, Cheese.

It's gonna be crazy when Marlo finds out about the card game setup...and Joe hears about Marlo's visit with Vondas.

Draft saved Draft deleted