1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Wire, Episode 52 "Unconfirmed Reports"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Double Down, Jan 7, 2008.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Actually, I believe I said we probably shouldn't make sweeping judgements based on seeing only the previews. I still have faith, but after seeing a few episodes and reading more interviews with Simon, I'm wondering just how big Simon's grudge is.

That said, I wish Bill Marimow would stop telling every reporter that calls him that Simon is like Ahab chasing a white whale. Seriously, I've seen him quoted saying this like six times. We get it, Bill.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

The whole Simon feud with his former editors is getting really tired, really fast.

Yeah, we get it Simon. You were Mother Teresa and they were all idiotic dickheads.

Talk about pre-launch publicity and hype.

3. So, I made it a point this summer to catch up on this show since I had heard so many terrific things about it. I fell in love with in just a few episodes. Reading your take on makes me wonder what I was missing out on more, the show itself or your excellent analysis of it. Thanks for checking in with this, I'll look forward to it each week.

4. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Thanks FBscribe.

All of you be sure to check out this Esquire piece I posted over on the J-Board. It's Simon's lament about what happened to the Baltimore Sun.

http://www.esquire.com/print-this/essay/david-simon-0308

5. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

FBscribe (& others), the show holds up really well on repeat viewings. Also, the commentary is fantastic. There are tons & tons of interesting tidbits to each episode.

6. Dedo

Dedo Member

Wow. That point seems so obvious, so self-evident, and yet in all of the column inches of magazine features, newspaper stories and blog postings I've read about this season, I've never seen anyone have the good sense to point it out until our man DD.

My question to you is this: Do you think Simon realizes the magnitude of the discrepancy between the newspaper world he left and the environment that exists now? If he does, and chooses to ignore it to chase his "white whale," then that's pretty disappointing. But I'm not sure he even understands how outdated his perception of the newsroom is.

7. The special they did, "The Last Word", talked a lot about the internet's impact on newspapers. I figured the show would get into that as well, but like you say the nets haven't even been mentioned.

Draft saved Draft deleted