1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Wire, Episode 52 "Unconfirmed Reports"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Double Down, Jan 7, 2008.

1. - We saw at least two moments where impatient mothers were cruel to their toddlers. Is this to show what the schools have to deal with by the time they get the kids? I thought they did a satisfactory job showing that last season.

- McNulty's frustration is really growing because justice isn't being done with those two dozen bodies. So first he goes to the feds and now he's fabricating a murder to make it look like another victim in a vacant - except this time the victim is white.

I don't think there's anyway McNulty gets out of this undamaged. There's at least two people who can tell the truth once it turns into a high profile case, which is what he intends isn't it?

I don't know that it's uncharacteristic of McNulty. His sense of righteousness and justice has caused him to push the envelope before - and who, in his eyes, will this hurt?

- The night sweat stuff is at least a weekly occurance for me.

- Terrible acting by the county investigator and medical examiner in the argument scene.

- Like everyone else, I loved the scene between Avon and Marlo. I don't know that it's a set up. Avon obviously sees an opportunity to make some quick cash, stay relevant and stir some shit up.

- The stadium scenes were good. Especially with the guy bitching about the commissioner. I've been there, looking around for someone else to talk to while some guy occupies all my time talking about something I can't quote.

- Fuck the executive editor. "I really think you captured the disparity between the two worlds in this city."

- What happens to Michael? Does he quit because of what the job entails or does he get in trouble for not blasting the kid?

- And again, that final scene is deeply disturbing.

2. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

3. And here's Tim Goodman's: http://timgoodman.blogspot.com/

By the way, I wasn't attempting a full-scale deconstruction, just sharing my thoughts, trying to provoke conversation while muttering under my breath at you guys who've already seen the next episdode. Am I the only one without OnDemand?

4. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

Nope, no On Demand here either, at least until DirecTV's is ready.

5. That's what I have. I didn't know they were trying to get it, as well. Can't imagine it will be ready in time for this season. Bastards.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I am on DirecTV as well.

7. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

They're working on it. I'll see if I can find some info.

8. 93Devil

Is anyone able to see the the show in HD?

The movie before The Wire is in full HD, but when the 9 p.m. showing comes on, it's in a cropped format.

9. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

Mine's cropped too. What's strange is the "previously on" + "next on" are both full-screen (I don't think HD though), but when the HBO logo pops up to start the show, it's cropped.

Sheeeeet, it looks like On Demand for DirecTV is kind of here:

http://www.directv.com/dod/dod.html

10. 93Devil

I almost have all of that, but I can wait a week. It's better than digging though the back of my entertainment center.

11. Also on DirecTV. I am having no problems getting HD. It looks great on my TV, but of course I have to wait until Sundays to watch. I'm fine with that, though. Considering this is the last season, I want it to last as long as possible.

12. 93Devil

It fills up the entire screen?

I still have the black cropps on the edges. It's the only HBO show that it does this on for me.

Draft saved Draft deleted