1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Wire, Episode 52 "Unconfirmed Reports"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Double Down, Jan 7, 2008.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Episode 53, "Not for Attribution," now available on HBO On Demand.

Enjoy.

2. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

Anyone else see suicide in McNulty's future? The drinking, the fixing bodies to suit his agenda. Even after all this is sorted out, Freamon's words to him from Season 3 will still ring true. "The case ends."

Just a thought...

3. djc3317

djc3317 Guest

he was definitely choking him like that because of what he saw in the morgue. i just didn't understand why he'd go to those lengths...in front of bunk no less...it'll be interesting to see where it goes.

4. djc3317

djc3317 Guest

and thanks to watching it, I have my answer. thanks for pointing that out.

5. GoochMan

GoochMan Active Member

Man, it's HARD when you have On Demand to wait a week to discuss the episodes...but as much as I love these threads, I can't stay away once I know the new one is waiting. It's a damn addiction, I tell ya.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Any scene that includes Snoop is pure gold.

They don't do it like the West Coast.

Too much talking.

7. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

That drive-by scene was pretty funny.

Was nice to see Avon again, but I'm still not really clear what he's trying to achieve by hooking Marlo up with the Greeks. Trying to get Marlo & co. killed? Hoping for a general shoot-out? Angling for Slim Charles to reach the throne? Just plain helping out his sister? I guess we'll see.

8. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

I think Avon's setting him up.

How about the last shot in the preview for next week, with Chris smashing Butchie in the face. I'm guessing that's not going to make Omar happy.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Something tells me we're gonna see an Omar/Marlo showdown.

10. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Anyone else here have the night sweats and call into teh shop thinking they have inserted a mistake into a story, like Clark Johnson did?

I have woken myself up twice like that, once I was OK, once I was not.

Very realistic, as is a little scene at the open of 53.

11. I don't think it's an indictment of narrative writing. I think it's an indictment on lazy reporting.

You see a lot of these hit and run stories where - even though they're not fabricated - they don't dig deep into the subject matter. They're just pretty, superficial stories meant to pull at the outsiders' heart strings and maybe pull an award.

12. I just watched this episode last night because I don't have ondemand like some of you assholes.

I thought it was awesome until the last scene. There were so many good moments leading up to it.

- The detectives talking about getting moonlighting jobs, you gotta love Bunk. And Sonya John doesn't get talked about enough, "Sell around some shiny shit and get paid, work murders and starve."

- I laughed out loud at McNulty beating up the car with the flat tire and "More than a feeling" blasting. The first of several times where music on the car stereo seems to play a part in this episode. More than I can ever remember.

- Carcetti and his governor run is extremely frustrating.

- I don't think the woman choking on the blue crabs was much of a story.

- McNulty taking the bus to the scene was a nice touch.

- The editorial meeting was well-done. The city editor is growing on me. The executive editor is realistic enough but a bit over the top, "I know the problem, my wife volunteers at an inner-city school." I've had an ee like this, but he wasn't dumb enough to volunteer such a non-sequitar as his reasoning. He would just tell us to do it.

To be continued ...

Draft saved Draft deleted