1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Wire: Episode 47

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dedo, Nov 19, 2006.

1. Dedo

Dedo Member

OK, this might be a stretch, but I'm going to throw this observation about the end of tonight's episode out there and see if it sticks (SPOILER WARNING):

Michael Lee just had his Michael Corleone moment, all the way down to the cinematography. Right after we see Chris and Snoop with his soon-to-be-living-the-rest-of-his-life-in-agonizing-pain stepfather, we cut to a shot of Michael, with half of the screen out of focus because of a wall. Almost exactly like the last shot of "The Godfather" with the door.

Michael just had someone killed, and it was the loved one of a relative (sound familiar?). There's no looking back now. Randy and Dookie might as well kiss his hand and call him "Don Lee." And as for that last shot of Michael's teary-eyed mother looking at him, saying nothing while saying everything? It might as well have been Diane Keaton.

Or maybe I'm just crazy...

2. MCEchan36

MCEchan36 Guest

Um, is it safe to call this one of the BIGGEST scenes in the entire series? And I don't even want to go near what caused those demons to come out of Chris.

DoubleDown, lord of all that is The Wire, bless us with your insight.

3. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Strong, Dedo... Strong.

4. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

One quick thing: Dedo I don't think his stepfather is going to be LIVING in agony for too long.

Now a longer thing: I'm not nearly a good enough writer to really get into what makes this show great, but tonight there were a few things so I'll give it a shot. The thing that is so brilliant about how the show is written is the way the writers allow silence and subtlety to tell the story. The look Chris gave to Michael when Snoop asked what the stepdad did to him... looking back on that scene knowing what he'd do to the guy you can see that Chris definitely has some deeper issues with that type of thing.

And with Chris tonight these writers were able to take a guy who has hardly said anything this whole series, and only basically been showing killing people, and humanized him and made you almost root for him... while he was bashing the life out of another man. One who it has never been shown, proven, or even actually said that he ever molested the kids. Obviously it's not a mystery but I like how not everything is tied up neatly. I have a ton more to say but I'll leave it at this for now, and come back once some of the more savvy viewers have checked in.

5. MCEchan36

MCEchan36 Guest

I don't think you can honestly root for someone to turn another guy's face into a mix of mashed potatoes and ketchup, but the sheer brutality of the beating probably drew people in because they could see the past come out of Chris. Hell, even Snoop was stunned by what happened. I watched this with my dad and he was dumbfounded and a little disgusted with what he just saw, but after letting him vent, I was able to make him realize that this show isn't just for entertainment, but also to provoke some deep thought. Kind of shaking us out of the complacency in our comfy little homes (anyone wanna shack up with Bubs?).

So anyway, either by the end of this season or next, does Randy go down for good, and will Michael be behind it? And is Omar going to some how give Bunk the vacant bodies, or will he just be putting his head on a platter for Season 5 like everyone is saying is going to happen?

6. Boobie Miles

Yeah I guess root wasn't the right word. My point was mainly that the guy really hasn't said a whole lot and yet you feel like you got to see that there's some depth to him tonight (even if it came from him savagely beating someone).

7. Dedo

Dedo Member

Yeah, I was referring to the rest of his life from that point (the shot with him coming out of the store, before the beating). Sometimes I don't make myself clear when I'm channeling Marsellus Wallace.

And you're right about Chris. Few characters ever have gone from inciting contempt to inciting empathy that quickly...

8. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Great episode, so much to talk about, but can't get into it till tomorrow. Got to be up early. Will discuss this baby soon.

9. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Just saw 48.

No spoilers.

But...

Omar dropped a Herman Melville reference, which I thought was off the hook.

Mostly, the episode had a lot of the people who we got so wrapped up with in season 1.

The trailers for the final two episodes make you wonder how they can fit so much in.

I don't think I have ever seen a better season of a television show.

10. Boobie Miles

Don't answer this Columbo, but if I read your little hint right that means Bodie is going to be playing a role (again don't tell me if I'm right, I'm fine with speculating until I actually see it). I think this could be his time to really step up if indeed he ever is going to. One of his main men got killed and he's bowed down to Marlo enough, it might be time for him to make a stand. Whatever he does I'm hoping his role steps up in these last few episodes because he is one of the best actors on the show, and that's saying something. I loved his reaction when he heard about Little Kevin... he didn't break down, didn't get hysterical, didn't flip out and curse Marlo... it was just a very real reaction, like he was dealing with the loss but at the same time already thinking about what he had to do.

11. episode 48 is the fastest-moving episode in wire history. you cannot afford to blink.

12. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

I sure as hell can. And do.

Don't root, my ass. Good grief, he f*&@ed a CHILD!!!!!!! A child. A harmless flipping child. Honestly I was hoping Snoop would blow him in the Lincoln on the way home. Or at least a little tug.

As a sidebar, what she said was the perfect transition. Totally broke the tension.

But I digress. All dirty scoundrels like that deserve a beat down.

Wait. I've got a better idea. Take him to the vacants and tie him up. Then you take his out his left testicle and hit it with a hammer. Then leave.

Come back in three days and take out his right testicle. Hit it with a hammer. Then leave.

Repeat this process alternating between testicles for a month all the while taking other child molesters across the country on a tour of aforementioned vacant. And then do it to them.

This kid's mind is messed up because of this man. Every child who has been victimized should have a button they can push every time they think of what was done to them. And every time they push that button, their molester should be hit in the testicle with a hammer.

And when I say hit with a hammer, I mean pull the testicle out place it on a hard, flat (and maybe cold) surface and squarely hit it with a hammer.

But that's just me. I'll never tell in 2008.

Draft saved Draft deleted