1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Wire... Episode 46 and predictions

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by jason_whitlock, Nov 13, 2006.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Another thought --

Will the dockworkers show up in the final season? I keep getting little whiffs that they might.

2. Stupid

Stupid Member

All along Marlo has seemed like he's younger than 25 but that scene when Michael went to see him about his "problem," the lighting that Jamie Hector was in made him seem so much older, like he was in his 30s. I don't think that was just coincidence either.

3. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Was Michael actually molested or did he manipulate the street to his advantage?

4. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I think it's quite obvious that he was molested. Watch the way he recoils from his stepfather's touch, and the way his stepfather caresses his head and Michael slaps his hand away. "You ain't got a forgiveness to your soul," the stepfather says.

Michael says to his mother, "You promised he'd never come back" and his mother says "People change, Michael." He won't let Bug even sit with his father for more than a few seconds, and he freaked out when the guy picked Bug up from the community center. The most important clue, though, is when Randy, Michael and Duquan are walking home from school and Michael asks Dukie about calling social services on his stepfather. Randy and Dukie say he should maybe talk to Cutty instead, and Michael says that "Cutty is TOO friendly, you know? That shit creep me out. Like he's some type of faggot or something." Randy says he's definitely not gay because he's been messing with a lot of the mothers in the neighborhood, and Michael says "that doesn't mean shit. Them faggots be just like that too. I don't know he just too friendly. Everybody just too mutherfucking friendly."

I think he's clearly talking about Bug's daddy there at the end, not Cutty.

5. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

I'm not convinced that he was molested. Only that Michael knows that with this dude back in the picture, his home will head for hell in a handbasket pretty quickly.

Michael, being the only person in the house with any sense, will not get to control the money and therefore take adequate care of his little brother, which is basically his main goal in live aside from staying alive.

I think this dude was just a sumbitch before, laying around the house smoking crack and wasting the money. He'll do whatever he can do to keep that from happening again.

But what the hell do I know.

Here's the rest of my humble opinions.

Omar is going to be responsible for bringing down Marlo, paying back the debt to Bunk.

Sherrod is going kill somebody soon.

Herc will get somebody killed for being a prick.

The kids will inadvertently tip off Prez to the bodies in the houses.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I'm with DD. I think it is pretty clear that Bug's dad molested him. Got more to add to this, and a question, but I am going to wait until everyone has a chance to see 47, because the question might give away some plot.

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I agree with DD, this week's huge bit of foreshadowing has been evident since Dude appeared on the screen. Michael obviously is afraid for his brother much more than he fears for his own safety. Michael works for Marlo in exchange for a little help from Chris and Snoop, me thinks.

8. they started foreshadowing michael being molested when he wouldn't sit in the car with cutty by himself after they left the boxing match....

9. Stupid

Stupid Member

or maybe...

...Michael's really gay and is projecting hatred of gays to compensate. he had his step-dad offed because he secretly wanted to be molested by him (not unlike Mr. Garrison in South Park). the mention of him by Omar actually foreshadows a future homosexual union of terror that the pair will wage on W.Balto.

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Out alert: Jason Whitlock is Stupid

11. RedDragon

RedDragon New Member

if it's time for predictions, here's mine:

i'm not sure omar will get marlo, but i think chris and snoop will get caught. freamon will get them and this has been foreshadowed in the scene early in this season when he and bunk are at the bar. bunk thinking about tail while freamon was trying to make sense of why bodies aren't turning up. randy will tell prez and prez will go to freamon. i agree with an earlier poster that said that prez will be key. marlo without his two hitters will become inconsequential.

carcetti will get into deep shit. whatever his play with daniels is, i think he'll get burned. and maybe mcnulty will burn him. the fbi agent in season 1 or 2 told mcnulty that the bureau had an eye on him.

alot of y'all have been talking about parallels this season with avon, et al. i think there are some parellels, but you have to look at baltimore -- or any other city -- and its social structures to see what is happening with michael, randy, duquan and namond. as a generalization, they or kids like them will become people like avon, stringer, marlo or prop joe because that is what they're destined to become. look at it this way, a kid from east or
    west baltimore, reared in a society where success is measured by standing in the drug game, will embrace the game because that is all he is exposed to. these four kids have problems at home and they look at success as elevation on the street via the game.

it happens in other social classes, too, in baltimore and other cities. you saw in season two when the sobotka boys followed their fathers on the docks. they grew up in the stevedore society so that's what they became. go to the affluent areas of baltimore -- doctors' and lawyers' kids go to private schools, matriculate to the ivy
    leagues and then join their fathers in the downtown law firms or at the johns hopkins operating room. go out to the middle class suburbs -- those kids go to public schools, go to the u of maryland and get decent jobs selling pharmaceuticals. go to greektown or little italy -- those kids grew up with their parents filling pita bread with
    processed meat or perfecting pasta primavera and these kids will take over the carryout or restaurant. and the cycle continues.

michael has problems with his stepfather. he doesn't know of any solutions other than asking chris and snoop for help. randy lives with miss anna and he gets by hustling candy. if there is anybody destined for the game it's namond with his bloodlines and skank mother. duquan is harder to figure out, but he's a smart kid who's
    loyal to his friends. following the path they are taking, they're destined for the game. the drug trade is only a few baby steps from where they are right now. these guys have stepped over the edge of the slippery slope.

we don't know all the backstory of avon, stringer or marlo, but it's not a stretch to think that their upbringing is similar to our four middle schoolers. will these four kids lord over the baltimore drug corner in a few years? i don't know. if someone doesn't pull them out, they will soon become like wallace, bodie, fruit, and snoop. if
    they survive that they'll become like slim charles, shamrock, wee-bey, stinkum and chris. will they make it to the top? maybe, maybe not. just look at how many of those are dead or in jail.

what colvin is doing seems like a way that can help these kids, but how many will the program help?

12. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

I humbled by some of you people's Wire knowledge. When I saw this thread I thought I would be dropping some great incite by mentioning the possibility of Michael being molested that my friend and I came to the other night. Then I click on the thread and it was in like the third post...oh well. I love this show and feel like I get some of the deeper, and underlying messages but nearly not as well as some of you, so please let's not let these threads fade out like they have a tendency to do, only because some of the points brought up here make the show that much more enjoyable for me.

Draft saved Draft deleted