1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Wire... Episode 46 and predictions

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by jason_whitlock, Nov 13, 2006.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

One other thing in regards to Randy. It's pretty clear that Cheese (Method Man) is Randy's father (they have the same last name, and if you read the bios on the HBO web site, it's obvious) and Cheese is Prop Joe's nephew (you can look that up too). Because of that, there's no way that Prop Joe plays any role in Randy's death, once everything comes together. Prop Joe already gave his little speech in Season 2 about family ("It ain't like I can pop a cap in his ass, and not hear about it come Thanksgiving") so I don't think, if Randy gets offed for talking to the police, Prop Joe plays any role.

2. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

But what does Prop Joe really know about Randy? I mean, he is in the foster care system so it doesn't seem like he really has any connection to his blood family.

3. Dedo

Dedo Member

Awesome observations on this thread, as expected. I was ready to come on here and talk about my suspicions that Michael was molested by his brother's father, but I should have known astute observers like DD would already be all over it.

One thing I haven't seen discussed here is the fascinating dynamic of the "corner kids" classroom that Bunny helped put together. It seems so authentic, and makes you wonder how much of that stuff came directly from Ed Burns' tenure as a teacher in West Baltimore. The kids' reaction to Ruth's Chris was particularly interesting. It's difficult to imagine the writers could come up with that unless Burns had actually done something like it with his students.

Also, I realize this show is full of quotes that are much more profound, but the funniest line of the season came a couple of weeks ago when Bunk was trying to get Omar off the hook. His fellow detective couldn't understand why Bunk was coming to Omar's defense. After all, "This ain't the motherfucker that came up with 62 ways for the peanut."

4. Double Down

Maybe he does, maybe he doesn't. But it seems strange to make Randy be Cheese's son, and Cheese be Prop Joe's nephew, if it doesn't have any point in the story other than to show that these characters' lives are always woven together. Maybe it never comes up, but Prop Joe seems like he always knows more than he lets on. If you look at him, he and Lester Freeman are really the moral anchors of the show. They're rarely major characters, but the real wisdom comes from them. Like Prop Joe's line last night about people thinking it's just easier to throw something away than to fix it.

5. I believe there are 13 episodes this season... That means there are 4 episodes left.

keep in mind, carcetti wants to be governor. he needs to clean up the baltimore streets to improve his resume. omar is the perfect willie horton -- the face of baltimore crime. he's despised in the hood and he's a compelling story to feed the media in season 5... i think the bodies in the vacants don't get resolved this season. i do think there's time for things to play out between michael/marlo/randy/bodie/chris/snoop....

remember in season 1 when bodie said something about being a "smartass pawn" and making it all the way across the chessboard and becoming a queen. deangelo had said something about a "pawn stay a pawn unless he make it all the way across."

michael, randy and bodie form an alliance at the end of this season and take prop joe's package.

d'londra, namond's mother, is going to run her mouth and get namond killed.

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I don't have HBO, but I watched The Wire in my hotel room this weekend.

I can tell it's a damn fine show, but obviously, it completely defies anyone jumping in and catching up. I had no idea what was going on.

7. the girl cracking on darnell about the napkin hanging from his neck made me laugh hysterically.

8. randy's relationship with cheese might play a role with michael/randy/bodie getting prop joe's package and getting an opportunity to be kingpins at an early age rather than just giving the west side to slim charles.

9. Double Down

Jason, you're right, 13 episodes. Four left.

I love that episode where D'Angelo teaches Bodie and Wallace how to play chess from Season 1.

"The king stay the king."

Bubbler, go rent Season 1 on DVD. Watch it from the beginning. I virtually promise you that you will not regret it, and you'll very likely go out and rent Season 2.

Also, each week, the Baltimore Sun does this feature called "The Wire Watch" where they focus on one character or writer, and talk about their role on the show. This week, they wrote about the writer who penned this most recent episode, and she talked a little bit of how she came up with the scene in Ruth Chris steakhouse. It's worth checking out some of the older ones too, if you're interested.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/entertainment/tv/bal-ae.wirewatch12nov12,0,1353615.story?coll=bal-tv-utility

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Bubbler --

At the risk of sounding evangelistic -- and I know us fans of the show come off as zealots sometimes, and probably turn off prospective viewers -- all I can say is that DD's analysis of the show is spot on: it gives the rewarding feeling of having read a great book, or seen a fantastic play, or visited a top-flight museum.

Any time you devote to catching up will be well worth it. Jump in, the water's fine.

11. also, everything going on now (bodies in the vacants, omar getting sprung on bunk's investigating) will be pinned on the royce administration. carcetti can spin omar's release on royce's inept police department if omar is ever used as a political pawn as the face of baltimore crime.

12. Double Down

Unfortunately, I'm going to have to bow out if ya'll continue this discussion later tonight after watching Episode 47 with On Demand. I'm just a poor soul with regular old HBO.

And not for nothing, but I really hope this is finally the year that the Emmys recognize this show for what it is. The fact that it's never won a single award, and only had one nomination (for writing) is embarassing. The same people who write love letters to Grey's Anatomy, and praise Shondra Rymes for giving us a diverse cast, completely ignore the fact that The Wire has more qualities roles for African Americans than any television show in history. It's too bad.

Draft saved Draft deleted