1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Wire box set released

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by DanOregon, Dec 22, 2008.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I also think that newsweek column is much more hopeful than realistic. People have this this weird habit of feeling like The Wire lacks authenticity if it doesn't mirror their own expierences with West Baltimore. I find that to be a little dishonest, frankly.

2. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

I checked Amazon, Best Buy, Circuit City, Sam's, WalMart and Target sites today, and the cheapest I could find was about $135. I really wish I had seen this thread the day it was posted; I would have had one more gift this Christmas. Not that I needed any more, because it was a blessed holiday for the Wilson family.

3. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

That was a strange column: David Simon backstory. Homicide, Homicide, Homicide. The Wire. Oh, by the way, the Shield is better. Because it's darker. Pure black dark. Back to the Wire, or at least the first two seasons. Second season kinda sucked. Exit.

Personally, I think The Wire is the best TV show I've ever seen. No question. Haven't watched much of The Shield, though. Is it close?

4. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Agreed about the story. And yeah, The Shield is pretty damn good. Definitely worth investing the time.

5. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I love the Shield, have all six seasons out so far on DVD. What I can't stand about that show, however, is that every season there are two or three plot lines that are just completely unnecessary/under-utilized. But, I like the overlying themes in the show so I let it slide.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Watched first four episodes of The Wire, yesterday, for grins.

It isn't as good as I remembered it.

It's better.

7. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

The Shield was too unrealistic. No way Vic inflicts so much damage and skates basically until the end. Good show but not close to The Wire.

Draft saved Draft deleted