1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Wire and Friday Night Lights among 10 shows for Best Drama Emmy

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by DanOregon, Jun 27, 2008.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Only five get nominated I hope FNL and The Wire aren't battling for the single "ratings-starved, critically loved" slot.

From the New York Times:
    The Academy of Television Arts and Sciences has released lists of the top ten Emmy vote-getters for outstanding drama series and outstanding comedy series.

The dramas are “Boston Legal,” “Damages,” “Dexter,” “Friday Night Lights,” “Grey’s Anatomy,” “House,” “Lost,” “Mad Men,” “The Tudors” and “The Wire.”

The comedies are “Curb Your Enthusiasm,” “Entourage,” “Family Guy,” “Flight of the Conchords,” “The Office,” “Pushing Daisies,” “30 Rock,” “Two and a Half Men,” “Ugly Betty” and “Weeds.”

The nominees will be announced on July 17.

2. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

3. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I actually quite liked Friday Night lights, but did it get cancelled mid second season? or is there more episodes coming and was just interupted by the writers strike?

4. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

No, they finished the season. Some sort of deal with DirecTV is giving it a third season.

I have regularly watched all the shows nominated in both categories, because I am a TV addict. My final fives:

Drama: Wire, FNL, Mad Men, Lost, House.

The Wire should have won about 50 Emmys by now, and its continual snubbing stands as the greatest argument against the awards (and, really, all awards). It's just staggering, as anyone who has seen it can attest. Mad Men was a completely unexpected treat that will get huge support in the industry for its masterful period presentation. FNL is the best show nobody watches, and Lost had a monster comeback season. House looked like it was going to fall off with its premise, but was really strong, with an absolutely heart-wrenching finale that left you crying over a character that entered the season as a one-note villain.

I love the Dexter books, but I think the show sucks. Boston Legal and Tudors are way over the top. Grey's had a horrible season. Damages was good, but never reached this level for me.

Comedy: Curb, Conchords, Office, Pushing Daisies, 30 Rock.

Larry David is like Carlin, if Carlin had just thrown up his hands in light of the ridiculousness instead of raging against it. Man, the world needs more shows like Conchords. I can't even think of anything to compare it to, except maybe Sarah Silverman's show. If you didn't watch Pushing Daisies, correct that mistake immediately when they start it up again. I don't think any show was more hurt by the strike, and if that kills it, that would suck. I've always loved shows that have their own universe. And 30 Rock makes me laugh out loud at least five times a week, which makes it must-see for me.

I have always hated Family Guy, and never got Ugly Betty. Entourage was off last season. Two and a Half Men and Weeds are solid shows that I don't think make the cut.

5. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

For what it's worth, the season finale of "The Office", "Goodbye, Toby" episode, was the funniest of any show I have ever seen. Absolutely hilarious.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

just feeling kinda random today, fish?

7. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

That was a great episode, but this year, 30 Rock was consistently the funniest show on NBC. And that's not to say other shows sucked. But 30 Rock was incredibly well written, and well acted.

8. RossLT

RossLT Guest

As happy as I am that The Wire is in here, I bet it stands no chance of winning. Fucking Grey's Anatomy will probably win and there is no way that any of the other nine, or any show in TV history, is better than The Wire.

9. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Friday Night Lights and Curb!

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Yup, except I'd sub the Tudors for House, but mostly because I've never watched House.

11. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

At the same time, I am both disappointed and elated that Friday Night Lights might be nominated. Disappointed because the second season was a shell of the first season in every way; elated because maybe it will keep it on the air longer. Damn, I love that show.

12. SlickWillie71

SlickWillie71 Member

Family Guy? Are you kidding me?

Weeds and The Wire, which is to say that Grey's and The Office will win it. As much as The Wire has been screwed, The Shield has been just as hosed.

Draft saved Draft deleted