1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Wire, 20 years later

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by poindexter, Sep 5, 2022.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I was one of the nine people who watched Treme. One of my good friends is from New Orleans and he said they pretty much nailed all of the NOLA culture stuff. He's usually a harsh critic of the way the city is portrayed in pop culture, so his endorsement is worthwhile.

Tighthead likes this.
  2. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

You racist.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Baltimore police department used typewriters in 2002. Apparently the computer hasn't been invented

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I think in the very first episode, there is a scene with Kima struggling with a typewriter and white out and Herc says something about how they were supposed to train them how to use computers a year ago.

That kind of thing is a recurring theme. There was an episode early on, where they contrasted McNulty's visit to the FBI field office and the equipment they were using to the shit resources the city police were using.

There is also an episode later on where Prez is in the school where the books are all ripped apart and vandalized and the kids don't have resources, and he goes to the basement and there are a bunch of brand new computers still sitting in the boxes. I think there is another scene where the police find some unused computers that were bought with 9/11 funds and are just sitting in a store room.

It's a running theme of the show. How poorly-run and how much waste there was in these city-run institutions. I think it was Simon's experience.

I distinctly remember reading stories within the last 10 years about the NYPD still having some typewriters in precincts and there being a push to get rid of them.

sgreenwell, poindexter and Tighthead like this.
  5. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

All the things Ragu said, plus - In the Cops Gone Feral thread, one of the more recent stories was about a department that let an informant get raped because in January 2021, they didn't have recording equipment that allowed live monitoring. When I was covering Rhode Island courts in 2015ish, they still had departments faxing them important documents. The Wire obviously focuses on an inner city environment, but out in the 'burbs, you can get line items in the budget for overtime and vehicles much more easily than the "boring" stuff like office supplies and modernization efforts.

6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

7. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Strange, I would of thought police work would be on the cutting edge of technology and business practices.

8. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Took my older one this weekend of what hopefully is the last college visit before applications and I binged We Own This City on the flights. Just a great show and in so many ways a spiritual child of The Wire. Tons of actors in common and callbacks, especially in the very first scene where Bunny Colvin’s paper bag speech is literally and figuratively shattered.

9. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Watched season 5 on my flight back from Australia. I actually was OK with the newspaper angle. I do agree that it definitely was a step down from the other seasons. I’ll rank them 2, 1, 4, 3, 5.

Driftwood likes this.
  10. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Season 2 was the best.

11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Haha, that is where my wife and I are today. What a great show. Just so many fantastic characters. All the first four seasons are fantastic (the docks and greeks and Ziggy in Season 2 a little less so).
    Bubs and Omar and the middle school kids. Kima and Bunny and Marlo. What great tv characters.

Sorry for the continuing complaint, but I counted two white people with Maryland accents.
    [​IMG] and [​IMG]

They should have done better than that. Sorry.

12. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

And the guy in the top pic is the real Jay Landsman, so he certainly should sound authentic.

sgreenwell likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted