1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Windy City

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by kingcreole, May 29, 2007.

1. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

I saw a game at the Cell a number of years ago. I didn't feel threatened at all. Of course I wasn't wearing the opposing teams colors (wasn't wearing the home colors either).

It wasn't even too bad after the game, walking back to the car.

The only thing I didn't like at the ballpark was the steepness of the incline in the upper deck. I was down the first base line and it was quite steep.

As far as pizza, what about Giordano's?

2. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Thin and crispy is the best pizza in Chicago and I'm not even from the city. :)

3. pallister

pallister Guest

If you get to a Sox game early, you can sit in the fan deck behind center field for free, no matter where your tickets are. I usually buy cheap tickets and grab a spot early in the fan deck. But stay away from the upper deck, regardless. It can be a bit scary up there, especially if anyone in the party is leery of heights.

4. Sportsbruh

Sportsbruh Member

go to a Soul Food restaurant it's called Edna's

then high tail it with the tykes to the Gospel fest.

since you'll still be there go next weekend to the blues fest (or is it the Jazz fest)

Then go to the SOUTHSIDE!!!!! and eat at Dixie kitchen or calypso. You'll like that.

then cruise down 75th street east and enjoy the lovely sights

make sure you let your windows down and spend freely with the street vendors.

5. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

I remember I had the best omlette of my life at a place called Oscar's in Chicago. And the waitress was from Transylvania and hot.

Also, I remember eating a good old hangover-cure breakfast at a shithole called the Ferris Wheel.

Other than that. I was there for baseball with the boys.

6. Stop_Pre

Stop_Pre New Member

http://www.billygoattavern.com

Cheezeborger, cheezeborger, cheezeborger! The original is near the Wrigley Building on Michigan Avenue.

7. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Well, I would highly recommend the Art Institute (some fantastic stuff in there to see), but your kids may get a bit restless in there after a bit.

Also would vouch for the Field Museum (kiddos should like that) and it's right next to the Aquarium to boot.

An alternative to the Sears Tower is the John Hancock building. Rather than visit a staid observatory floor, the Hancock has a lounge where you can enjoy a cocktail whilst looking down on the city.

Go deep dish on the pizza--Malnati's, Geno's, and Girdano's are all fine recommendations.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

What they've done w/the chain outlets is shameful . . .

BUT

The ORIGINAL Pizzeria Uno . . . corner of Wabash and Ohio (Est. 1943) . . . a national monument . . . and as good as ever.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Watch it ... Transsexual Transylvania. ;)

While everyone does the time warp, I plan on paying a visit to Chi-Town sometime this summer. Probably in July; I'll take 90º there over 105º here. The way gas is looking, I think I will fly and take the L from Midway. God, it'll be nice visiting a city with mass transit.

10. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Lou Malnati's is Chicago pizza to me...the long wait at Uno's (agree with Ben the original on Ohio is the only place to try it) isn't worth the 18 pounds of cheese that will sit on your stomach for 72 hours. Geno's sold out and got all touristy.

My sister lives in Chicago, and cannot bear to bring her children into the city--she is scared of buses and dirty people--so I take the kids out when I'm there, so she doesn't have to leave the North Shore.

Didn't see any love for the Lincoln Park Zoo here....probably the BEST place for kids under 10. But not close enough to walk from your location, you'll have to take a short taxi ride. Worth it.

Navy Pier/Aquarium is one trip...you can do the Pier in 2-3 hours tops. You walk to the end, you turn around and walk back. The Aquarium is great. So is the Field Museum, but enough is enough, you have little kids.

I'd put the little ones in the stroller and just navigate down Michigan Avenue. If you have girls, go to the American Girl store...you can see the show there and have lunch, and then buy $90 socks for the dolls.

Really, you can just walk up the lakeshore....hang out on Oak Street beach for free. A nice break from the tourist schlepping.

Agree the top of Hancock is a good (and maybe better) option to Sears Tower. Hancock is on North Michigan, much nicer for walking around....Sears Tower is in the middle of downtown, boring for kids.

Oh, and the Billy Goat is not for your kids, they won't get it, and your wife will be annoyed you dragged her under the street through the urine puddles for a bag of chips.

11. Sly

Sly Active Member

Rambler might be able to concur with me, but I see way more kids at Sox games these days than at the Cubs. Beer and ivy mean nothing to kids ... But a scoreboard, fireworks and the Fundamentals deck? That's right up an eight-year-old's alley. Both parks have their share of drunks.

12. I live downstate, and have a 6 and 3 year old. If you prep the kids right, the Art Institute is great for about 2 hours. What we did before our trip was to pick up a book or two/download some information on a particular artist/artists -- they have a huge collection of Impressionists. The lower level also has a kid's area and a miniatures collection. Lower level is also where the bathrooms are.

Across Michigan from the Art Institute is a street sign indicating the beginning of Route 66. Also, a block north of the Art Institute is Millennium Park, which has some great water features and the big silver bean. I'd wager the kids would enjoy both of those.

The Shedd Aquarium & Field museum are great (I'd do them in that order).

Draft saved Draft deleted