1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Windy City

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by kingcreole, May 29, 2007.

1. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Kids are 8, 4, 14 months. We'll be doing the public transit thing. Yeah, it's about a 45-minute ride each day, but the way we're looking at it, the kids never get to ride a train like that, so I'm sure they'll be fairly giddy.

2. Rambler

Rambler Member

Yeah, Romeoville (and Wheaton) are not close to the city. You are talking day trips (though the Metra isn't bad--and it's right by Sears Tower) if you want to do the city.

3. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

At D.C.

Isn't there a couple independent minor league teams around there?

4. pallister

pallister Guest

Fair enough, Doc. But you know Chicago pizza is an issue dear to my heart (and surrounding arteries).

King, the best neighborhood places all serve thin crust pizza that is incredible (especially Italian sausage). But all the ones I know are on the far NW side. Where you're staying, though, that area is out of the way, though. As for a chain, try Home Run Inn. The location I last went to was down the road from the Cell a bit, but I'm pretty sure there's a closer one to downtown.

As for a Sox game, it really is a great park to watch a game and the kids would have tons of interactive things to do. When I was last in town, I bought tickets to take my dad to a game. He's in a wheelchair most of the time, and the Cell is very, very accessible. Safety was never an issue in putting the outing together. Then again, I was rooting for the home team. :)

5. pallister

pallister Guest

Come to think of it, there's likely a Home Runn Inn in one of the burbs you'll bein or the surrounding towns.

6. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Yeah, the Metra takes you right to the Union Station, right be the Sears Tower and the Fed Reserve, and it looks like there are tons of buses that go by that can take us anywhere. I don't mind driving in metro areas, but being from Kansas City is one thing, and I've had no problems the last couple years doing the Twin Cities and the Metroplex, but Chicago is a different cat.

7. Cadet

Cadet Guest

The kids will be entertained for five minutes on the train. Then they will be bored for another 40. I don't care how angelic your little ones are, I've seen it happen a million times. You'll be able to take that trip one day, maybe two at best.

Re: minor leagues
    Schaumberg Flyers
    Kane County Cougars

8. Rambler

Rambler Member

This will help if you're looking for things to do:

http://metromix.chicagotribune.com/

9. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

So you're saying if it ain't thin and crispy, it ain't the real thing?

10. Rambler

Rambler Member

Deep dish...Gotta do it.

11. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

That's my opinion of pizza. But some swear by the deep dish. Who am I to say they're wrong?

12. pallister

pallister Guest

As for pizza, Doc, I'll be the decider. :)

That's exactly what I'm saying, King. If you want to try something regional that not every tourist in the city is gonna have, that's what you go for.

Draft saved Draft deleted