1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Windy City

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by kingcreole, May 29, 2007.

1. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

OK, so here in about two weeks, me, the wife and the kiddies will be in Chicago doing the old-fashioned-Griswold-family-vacation bit. Our last day there is kind of open, so I'm open to some suggestions, restaurants in particular.

We're spending one day at Navy Pier, and one day we're doing the aquarium, Federal Reserve (at my daughter's request) and the Sears Tower.

I'm looking for a bona fide Chicago pizza joint among other places. I love eating at local joints, even if though the kiddies whine about how "We never go to McDonald's!" So I'm open for those who know Shee-ca-go well.

No Cubs game, btw. They're outta town. And I wouldn't go to a ChiSox game if I had my kids with me. If they beat the shit out of a Royals first-base coach, what the hell are they going to do to a group of Royals fans?

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

If you want deep dish, Geno's East is a fine choice.

3. pallister

pallister Guest

Deep dish is not Chicago pizza, damnit! It's for the tourists, and you know it, Doc. Shame.

King, are you going to be staying downtown or near O'Hare?

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Yeah, but he asked for a good place for it. I figured I'd help him out.

5. Rambler

Rambler Member

Lou Malnati's on Wells for pizza.

RE WHITE SOX: Please reconsider--the park is very fan friendly and the kids will have a blast. Don't let two drug-addled assholes tarnish an entire franchise.

6. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Walker Bros.

7. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Actually staying out in the burbs. Romeoville, I believe it's called. Near Aurora and Wheaton. We have friends in Wheaton, and we're going to see them once or so.

8. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Hmm ... maybe I'll look into it then. I love going to ballparks that I never get to otherwise visit, and Comiskey sounds like the real deal.

EDIT -- ChiSox are in Philly/Pittsburgh. No go.

9. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

I went to a Royals-Sox game last year... and I'm sure I was the only Royals fans. You'll get a few comments about how the team sucks, but nothing original. I was not assaulted... and it helped the Sox won that game.

10. 21

21 Well-Known Member

How old are the kids?

Wow, Romeoville is REALLY far from the city. And nowhere near Wheaton/Aurora, I don't think. Closer to Joliet. You may not want to go back and forth. Any chance you'd stay in Chicago for a night?

11. Cadet

Cadet Guest

If you're staying in that area, will you be able to catch a Fire game at Bridgeview?

12. Rambler

Rambler Member

The aquarium is terrific. If you have time, walk over to the Adler Planetarium and/or the Field Museum. Both are first-rate and all part of the "Museum Campus" which is a beautiful area right on the lake that encourages walking. On a nice day there isn't a better place to be.
    In fact, you can walk there along the lake from Navy Pier. It's probably a mile but is scenic and safe and has plenty of places to stop.

Draft saved Draft deleted