1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Whole Kindergarten Redshirt Thing

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Lugnuts, Aug 25, 2010.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Not saying you did not, but why take away a year of still being a kid?

Lil 93 was born in February, so I don't have that choice to make.

But I turned six 25 days into my kindergarten year.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

OK, yeah, that makes sense. I guess I thought redshirting was the practice of starting your kids at age 6 so they will be 19 at HS graduation. You should talk to a kindergarten teacher and get some feedback on this, they would almost always recommend waiting till your child is 5. Even if they're academically and socially ready, there could be other small things.

Also, not that you want to plan your life around your child's sports career in 13 years, but if that's a consideration at all just consider how much bigger and stronger an 18-year-old can be than a 17-year-old. I started early and that is the main drawback I think about; I wouldn't have been scholarship material by any means but I think I could have been a starter in the grade below mine.

3. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

Yeah, if she is going to be 4 until deep into November, I don't even think this is a debate.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

What's wrong with graduating high school at 17? I mean, it's either 17 or just a few months past 18, right? I don't see much difference.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I know a lot of people who have put their kids in kindergarten at 4 and then had them repeat- viewed it at as free year of pre school.

Seems like a bigger issue for boys down the road because of greater premium place on athletics- specially for sports that go by grade as opposed to age. A year makes a huge difference athletically.

6. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I haven't read the whole thread but one of my sisters is in the deranged parent camp.

She held her son, and now daughter back from starting school to as late as possible.

So my nephew, who is already a giant by any standard, is almost two years older than any other kid in his class.

As an example, he turned 7 in the spring of his kindergarten year. (If you don't want to do the math, he'll turn 20 his freshman year of college.) He's now about to start third grade and travels with a birth certificate to prove his age at out-of-town little league tournaments since he's already so gigantic.

My niece is on the same path, she won't start kindergarten until she is 6 and will turn 7 later that year.

My sister, who was a professional athlete, and my brother-in-law who was a studly college football player before he got hurt wanted their children to be the oldest, biggest and, hopefully, smartest kids in their respective classes.

It is pretty crazy, or at least it seems that way to me, but how they raise their kids isn't really my business.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Any end of the extreme usually is not the best way to handle something.

How the heck did she pull that off? Did she home school for a year and then the kid tested into the K class?

8. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

When the kids are too old to play high school sports as seniors, the parents will really be wondering if they did the right thing.

9. Boom_70

If they are that serious they can PG a year or do like the Mormons do - go on a mission and come back as a 22 year old freshman.

10. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

It sounds like if I wait a year to send my daughter to K, she won't actually be the oldest... She'll be right in the middle.

The way things are going, I will have to sweat this for my son. With a spring birthday, he may well be one of the youngest.

The school districts really need to stop the madness. Set the dates and hold firm.

11. Boom_70

Luggy the best thing you can do is get your advise here and stop talking to all the other mothers who will make you nuts on what should be done.

12. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

In my state, as long as you don't turn 19 before the start of your senior year, you would be eligible.

So you can be 19 in the spring of your senior year, like my nephew and niece, and still be able to play basketball, baseball and the like.

Trust me, my sister researched this.

I think 5 and going on 6 in Kindergarten is about right. I think starting at 4 is too young, even if they do turn 5.

My oldest brother was 4 when he started school and he always said it was too early since he was basically a year behind his class.

Draft saved Draft deleted