1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The White People v. Black People issue in Sports will NEVER die!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Sportsbruh, Jul 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I don't know of any white people who rejoice when Steve Nash wins an MVP, or call their white friends when Roger Clemens strikes out a black guy. It's sad. Pathetic, really, regardless of whatever justification these family members dream up in their minds.

It seems the people who cry "racism" the loudest are usually the biggest offenders.

2. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

And the issue will never die because individuals like Screamin' A. won't let it die.

But let's not forget how far we've come, what with two black head coaches in the Super Bowl.

3. IU90

IU90 Member

Nearly everyone here already knows this, but for the few fresh newbies who might not, Sportsbruh is basically a troll and the site's self-appointed race baiter. Nearly everything he posts is just an attempt to get people screaming at each other over race issues. Might be best just to ignore the threads he starts.

4. However, the issue does not remain alive because people "keep it alive." The issue, in a country where the CJ of the Supreme Court doesn't understand Brown v. Board, is alive because it is, well, alive, 'bruh's ignorance notwithstanding.

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I think the CJ understands it...he just won't interpret it the way you want him to.

6. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I'm not going to deny there's still racism in America. I'm not going to deny blacks may still have a harder time of it in certain aspects of life than whites.

But it does seem to speak of a bit of reverse-racism when Scoop calls out this need to support the Williams sisters solely because they're black, a point he makes more than once in the column.

Sorry, Scoop (and sportsbra) but I'd prefer to support an athlete based on 1) their skills and 2) their personality. If you've got to make it more than that, maybe it's you who has the problem.

7. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Fen, when you confuse whether or not there's a real race issue with the ridiculous arguments sportsbra makes, you give ammo to a false premise. If you want to discuss racial problems in this country, that's one thing. But sportsbra is not making a very good argument. In fact, his and scoop's attempts to do so actually hurt the real issue.

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Once again, the proof of racism in sports in Pete Rose. If Pete were white he'd be in the Hall of Fame.

9. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

The problem with any racial issue in sports or not is the mere subject is always going to be polarizing for a lot of people and there is always going to be a level of distrust between both races.

Years of seeing people of color get screwed over by the man time and time again, be it in employment opportunities, business opportunities, mortgages or whatever have left many black folks a little skeptical about white people's intentions so they see things through a different filter.

Conversely years of affirmative action programs, quotas and political correctness have left many white folks skeptical about the intentions of black folks.

That doesn't even account for the out and out racists on both sides.

But the problem will never get solved as long as we have absolutists on both sides who stand around and point fingers and scream at each other.

Yes, there are racist white folks who root against Tiger Woods and Venus Williams. There are also a lot of white folks who also just happen to be fans of Jim Furyk or Phil Mickelson or Maria Sharapova (sp?) and thus root for them and against their chief nemisis.

Meanwhile, if you've ever walked in Tiger's gallery at a major golf event you probably noticed that the overwhelming majority of his fans are white. Ditto the Williams sisters.

Barry Bonds is a little different animal because of the steroids thing and the fact that he is such a prick, but his race probably does play into who roots for or against him for maybe 10 to 15 percent of the fans. The rest have their own reasons and since I'm quite sure the 1.2 million or whatever it was that voted for him in the all star game weren't all black people, there must be at least a few white folks rooting for Barry to get to 756.....

In other words, there are so many variables in any situation dealing with race that the lazy and frankly silly way to explain things away is to always point to race.

Is it a factor? Yes. But it is, unless we are dealing with the lunatic fringe, hardly ever the only or even a major factor.

10. And, alas, I've heard that dodge for 30 years, too. If an argument is a bad argument, it is siimply a bad argument. People who deny race is still an issue in this country are going to deny it whether Scoop Jackson makes the argument or Harry Edwards does.

11. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Uhm, sorry Fen, but bullshit.

Sportsbra's argument is ridiculous, but in no way do i pretend that there's not a racial problem in America. I just don't buy Sportsbra's representation of it.

12. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Thats a stupid answer.
    African Americans rooted for Tiger,Venus,and Serena because THERE WERE NO African Americans before them in their respective sports. Ever.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.