1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The White House Gate Crashers

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Nov 30, 2009.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Is it really that hard to focus on fixing the Secret Service problem AND nailing the attention whores?

2. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Apparently it is, based on what I've seen/read. All I know is that I see what could potentially be a major, history-altering problem and if attention is going to be put in one place, I'd much rather it be in the right place.

3. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I believe that all blame for this is squarely on the shoulders of the FCC ...

For allowing reality TV to exist.

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

The round of applause he had the workers give themselves was a very nice touch. :D

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

How are you going to nail them for trespassing? Again, if I'm their attorney and the prosecutor suggests they were not welcome at the party, I submit photos of them posing with Joe Biden and Rahm Emanuel. Then I call the Secret Service to explain in painstaking detail how they let these two bozos into the party. You think the White House wants any part of that?

If someone asks them to leave and they refuse, they're trespassing. If they turn up at a party and the hosts let them in, they're not trespassing.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

How are photos of them with Joe Biden or Rahm Emanuel evidence that these two were not trespassing? Isn't it possible that those two just didn't know who everybody on the guest list was?

7. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

I can speculate as to why Bill Clinton posed with them.

8. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

There is a difference between "not on the guest list" and trespassing.

You would have to show that on some level they were not welcome at the event. They were allowed in, were introduced by their real names when they entered, shook hands with the president, and posed for pictures with Joe Biden and Rahm Emanuel. Good luck proving that it constituted trespassing.

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Not only will they not be getting in any trouble, but someone at the Department of Defense might be out of a job in the next 48 hours.

If you recall, the White House didn't release the guest list until right before the dinner. They said it was for privacy and/or for it to be a surprise.

More likely, the list was in fluctuation right up until the last minute. With it being only two days before Thanksgiving & with Congress on recess, they were probably still waiting to see who was coming and had a "B list" of people on standby.

These people are grifters, no doubt, but knowing how these things work, they brought the emails with them and in the confusion, they were let in. With guest list being updated several times in the final hours, the Uniformed Division officer most likely assumed that they were going to be on the next update of the list.

That's why the Social Secretary's Office needed to have someone at the security check point.

Why Jones was trying to get these people in, is a whole other question.

10. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

Amen --and Amen!! It is time to put a stop to this stupidity from people like this! What if something had happened at this dinner?? We would be discussing tragedy. As it is, we are discussing farce featuring a couple who, apparently, will do anything to get on a reality show. Starman has it right: Enough of this!!

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

It was actually a reference to "The Paper." But, whatever.

12. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Axel rules. As much as that couple disgusts me, I don't see how they can be charged with trespassing. They were granted admission. No one ordered them to leave. The fault lies with the Secret Service and White House staffers.

Draft saved Draft deleted