1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The White House Gate Crashers

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Nov 30, 2009.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

This story fascinates me.

I used to work on political events. Often you'd get an invitee trying to bring in two guests when they were invited with one, or bring a different guest than the one they RSVP'd with, but this is really something.

Especially because anytime the President is involved you have to give the Secret Service your name and social security number well in advance as well as the name of your guest(s) and their social security number.

That these people both had the balls to try to crash a state dinner -- let alone a lesser event -- and succeeded is incredible to me.

I'm also astounded by reports that no one from the White House staff was manning the checkpoints alongside the Secret Service.

Lastly, I amused by watching Roxanne Roberts of the Washington Post on MSNBC with Chris Matthews. She says that she informed two WH staffers that they weren't on the guest list right after they were announced. She asked the staffers who they were and if they were supposed to be there.

Matthews pressed her to name the two staffers and she did. Katie McCormick& Courtney O'Donnell are about to have their lives turned upside down.

http://www.whorunsgov.com/Profiles/Katie_McCormick_Lelyveld

http://www.whorunsgov.com/Profiles/Courtney_O'Donnell

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

While I'm aware that it happened I haven't really been following this story. Who are the crashers and how did they pull it off?

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Just goes to show you can crash anything if you are savvy and persistent enough.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Two fame whores. Bravo's cameras have been tailing her around because she's up for a spot on "The Real Housewives of DC."

He's a "Polo Player" and "Vineyard Owner" who won control of the vineyard after he sued his mother, but then it declared bankruptcy.

They through "Charity Events" -- including polo matches -- to raise their profile, but they don't raise any money.

They owe money to people all over town.

5. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Remember the guy who always snuck into sporting events as a participant? Who was that guy, and is he still around? I just remember an NBA All-star game where he like got into the layup line.

6. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

If you don't hesitate and act like you're supposed to be there, you can get into pretty much anyplace. I just never thought the White House was "anyplace."

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I find it amusing that some in congress are pushing for criminal charges. What the hell are you going to charge them with, trespassing? Kinda hard to convince a jury they were unwelcome intruders when they have photos smiling next to Joe Biden and Rahm Emanuel.

Is "First Degree Attending a Party Without a Reservation" a felony or misdemeanor?

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Might explain why they're shopping their story. Reports are they're asking for six figures.
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091129/ap_on_en_ot/us_state_dinner_uninvited_guests

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

A wise man once said, "with a clipboard and a smile you can get into any building in the world."

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Kinda like when the Clintons went all-in on trashing Obama for his ties to Rezko and it took the Obama people less than 24 hours to dig up a photo of the Clintons posing with Rezko.

Side note: Are we allowed to talk politics again?

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'd go after the couple, I'd go after the network, I'd go after anyone who supported this endeavor. This kind of crap makes my inner Jack McCoy want people hanging from the mainmast. No deals!
    The fact that Hardball has spent 30 minutes on this crap should make it a capital crime.

12. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Schiff would make the deal.

Draft saved Draft deleted