1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Weekly Standard is shutting down

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by John B. Foster, Dec 14, 2018.

1. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Pretty significant - in that it was probably the leading conservative media property to keep Trump at arms length.

3. Long Snapper

Long Snapper New Member

Sad news. Bill Kristol has been off his rocker in recent years abandoning a lot of his principles because of Trump, but most everyone their stuck to their guns and emphasized principles over party which is admirable. Hoping all of these folks land back on their feet and I have a feeling they will.

4. DanOregon

The truth is though that the Weekly Standard had always been a vanity publication first by Murdoch and then by Anshutz who used it as a vehicle to spread their conservative gospel, regardless of the losses.
    It was also the publication/news org most likely to be able to help put the conservative movement back together again in a post-Trump world. Not having it around is bad news for conservatives.

garrow and Long Snapper like this.
  5. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Just looking through some headlines, it wasn’t that the Weekly Standard was anti-Trump as much as it stuck to being small-c conservative in an age where big-C conservatives are smoking the mushroom.

Long Snapper likes this.
  6. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

From what I read in right-of-center media, Anschutz is shutting town The Weekly Standard because the pro-Trump (whose politics is about 95% personality) attack any organ that's even slightly perceived as not toeing the MAGA party line. They're pouring their resources into The Washington Examiner (which is decidedly more fawning over DJT than Weekly Standard was) to appease the MAGA crowd, and largely wanted The Weekly Standard's subscriber list to transfer to the Examiner.

As a right-leaning libertarian, the Weekly Standard was way too far pro-war neocon/establishment GOP for my tastes, but it was an important voice in the world of those who still had principles. National Review is more the house organ of Reaganite conservatism and IMO can guide the restoration of something resembling consistent principles after the fallout from Trumpism.

7. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I heard them discussing this on one of the NPR shows in laudatory terms for the WS. I wonder what they said about it until now? The left loves its dead conservatives.

YankeeFan likes this.
  8. DanOregon

It isn't that their dead - it's that as bad as the left thought they were, the right found a way to get righty-er.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

My objection to Kristol and the Weekly Standard was that both seemed unconcerned by - in fact disconnected from - how far right the rank and file were moving. For years, as long as there was some sort of tweedy agreement at the top of the old walnut-paneled Establishment GOP that tax rates be cut and Democrats ignored, there was almost nothing the magazine wouldn't countenance among the right-wing radio snake oil salesmen and the John Birch/Tea Party/Trumpite factions of Republican America. As long as the GOP was being advanced, it didn't matter how.

So, while I'm sad to see a smart-ish publication replaced by what will no doubt be a subliterate Trumpine house organ, it's also true that Mr. Kristol was Dr. Frankenstein, creating, and then destroyed by, his own monster.

10. DanOregon

To be fair - I can't think of a political mag that didn't embrace the "cutting edge" of the ideology. Figure those interested enough in subscribing to a mag on either the left or the right don't want to read articles about going "too far." If they wanted that, they would read the other side's rag.
    I'd love to see a political thought mag that had both far right and far left writers. Not so much a "debate" - but you could have someone write an article about the Obama "death spiral" and the lefty does a sidebar arguing that it's Ocare is more popular than ever.

Draft saved Draft deleted