1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The week of 9/11 High School gamer

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by daytonadan1983, Sep 11, 2020.

1. daytonadan1983

daytonadan1983 Well-Known Member

20 years ago this week, I didn't think a high school football writer would be involved with 9/11 coverage. Yeah, right ..

Be ready for anything and be thankful you have the copy desk (or your people) behind you--

PORT ORANGE -- On a miserable night in the most miserable of weeks, Spruce Creek's Anthony Campanella searched for the slightest speck of solace by wearing the jersey number once used by his cousin still missing in New York's World Trade Center disaster.

With a driving rain and his Hawks losing 21-0 to Lake Mary in a District 3-5A contest, the longest of weeks for the senior tight end continued.

"I know this was a district game and I know it's selfish, but I just wanted to win one for him," Campanella said, holding back tears. Campanella's cousin, Joey Eacobacci, worked on the 108th floor of one of the two World Trade Center towers destroyed in Tuesday's attack.

At the suggestion of his uncle, Campanella switched jerseys with Justin Arthur so he could wear No. 35 -- Eacobacci's high school and college number.

"We just looked at each other, then teared up a little," Spruce Creek coach George Janan said about the meeting between him, Campanella and Arthur about the number switch. "Some things don't need to be said. It puts everything in perspective."

With college and pro games canceled, Thursday's game was one of the few sporting events taking place in the area.

"It got my mind off things a little bit," Campanella said.

On the field, the Hawks (0-3) could never put any sort of offense together and gave the Rams (2-1) excellent field position with two turnovers that led to scores.

Lewis Hall scored two touchdowns and a two-point conversion to lead the potent Rams' running attack.

maumann likes this.
  2. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

Not high school, but I covered Coast Guard Academy football. Our coaches and captains lunch was that Tuesday, and we had to go off-campus to Mr. G's restaurant for the interviews because there were armed guards at the entrance to the Academy. Not much was discussed about the previous week's loss to Salve Regina, needless to say.

So much of that day I remember, as I'm sure for you, too. Though I looked at my high school seniors today, when the principal came on the intercom to begin a moment of silence, and I realized that none of them were born when that happened.

maumann likes this.
  3. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Sept. 11 was the first day of my second week at a weekly. I was supposed to drive all around the coverage area doing interviews for football previews. That did not happen. I ended up getting in touch with a friend of mine from college who lived in the circulation area and was on his way to work at the WTC when the attacks happened. He provided some vivid detail and I wrote a story about it. I also remember being overwhelmed by exhaustion around 2 PM. What a horrible day.

maumann likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted