1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Weather Channel goes MTV

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Nov 13, 2009.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Flip over to check the weather for the weekend and "Misery" is airing.

A movie. On The Weather Channel. Instead of weather. Good. Grief.

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Well, it did snow a lot in that movie.

Would be cool if they started showing music videos.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

People can get the weather elsewhere.

Really a bizarre decision. You might say - well it's a Friday. Yeah a Friday before a weekend when people want to actually do stuff and check the weather to make sure the weather will cooperate.

That they aren't even running a crawl with general forecast info on the bottom is bad - I imagine most people will flip right past it not knowing it's The Weather Channel. But it's not like NBC doesn't have other cable channels to show movies on - oh that's right, they have SYFY, USA and Bravo. Can't wait to watch Glengarry Glen Ross on CNBC just as the trading day begins and Mr. Smith Goes to Washington during the State of the Union Address.

4. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Love The Weather Channel.

Hate, hate, hate the MTVitalization of The Weather Channel.

5. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

Just got TWC in HD a week or two ago. Am I correct in saying that they don't really have a "Local on the 8s" on the HD channel? It looked like they just rotated around different regions of the country while the local forecast was going on the regular channel.

If true, that's some weak sauce.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Well, MTV doesn't; why should the Weather Channel?

7. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Because MTV doesn't.

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Well, then, it would be "Weather Channel Goes Anti-MTV"

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Might be the satellite feed. The local on the 8s only runs on the local cable systems.

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

I'd much prefer Mr. Smith Goes to Washington.

There's just something about the idealism of Frank Capra and Jimmy Stewart that attracts me, as opposed to the false sincerity and outright lies of our elected politicians.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

This move to movies is one of those decisions that ego might be the biggest enemy of capitalism.
    New boss walks in, things are going fine, he or she figures they have to do something to justify their position/show that they are actually doing something.
    I'd love to see the marketing research that backed up this decision.

It wouldn't be so bad if they were showing movies that feature weather in sort of a Pop-Up Video kind of thing - explaining how tornados form, why some areas get more snow than others, the forces involved in creating a tidal wave.

Rule 1 - Know who you are (aka protect your brand), know why people use your product - and don't screw it up. But then again - the "news channels" don't seem to understand the concept either.

12. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

TWC was showing A Perfect Storm a few weeks ago. And we thought the Storm Stories was bad.

Draft saved Draft deleted