1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The WashPost House of Ill Repute

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dave Kindred, Apr 21, 2007.

1. Dave Kindred

Dave Kindred Member

It was 20 years ago or more, Fenian....I persuaded Solomon it was wrong to legitimize an illegal activity....not being an avid agate reader now, I'm not sure the no-betting-lines edict still stands....

Speaking of "moral fanfare," I doubt that any columnist has ever inveighed against sports gambling more often or with greater passion than I have. Yet I have organized a Masters draft pool in our house forever. That's because I've never once thought of it as sports gambling. It's a low-grade lottery.

As for Oreos, see the earlier posting from CapeCodder, who suggests we replace Oreos with Cosell's snack of choice, the Mallomar.

2. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I won the NCAA Tourney office pool, this year.
    I [amassed] 535 [points].
    Whew. I'm in the clear, now.

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I'm pretty sure they still post lines for pro sporting events. I've never seen them do much more than casually reference in a story a college betting line, but they've definitely had lines for NFL and sometimes NBA games. I'm iffy on whether they've done NHL and I know they've never done MLB games. Whether they do it now or not is unknown, since I haven't had enough dough to really want to get into those sports.

4. accguy

accguy Member

Here's the bigger question: Does Sean Jensen receive an invite to stay in the house again after blogging about all of this?

5. yeah, i was wondering the same

probably not the best judgment to scribe about such a pool, no matter how insignificant it may have seemed

6. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Next year: strip Augusta pool

7. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Newspapers are so afraid of their customers that they will self-flagellate to any degree over anything to appease them. This is a perfect example of that, one made even more perfect by the inherent contempt that management has for sports reporters.

8. fishwrapper

An ombudsman is not "management." Thankfully.
    Most of them would have to get down off their soapbox or high horse to be management.

9. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Winner winner chicken dinner. Fenian wins the right answer pool.
    Let me know where I can send the 18 cents.

10. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Somebody post the photo of Capt. Renault, shocked – shocked! – to learn that there's gambling going on.

This column was a waste of the general reader's time. Would be good in an APSE newsletter, maybe.

11. fishwrapper

(I'll give it a whirl).

SPORTS WRITERS/EDITORS GAMBLE? GASP!

[​IMG]

12. fishwrapper

Draft saved Draft deleted