1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Washington Post on Creigh Deeds

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 2, 2014.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Good work can still be done

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/a-fathers-scars-for-deeds-every-day-brings-questions/2014/11/01/2217a604-593c-11e4-8264-deed989ae9a2_story.html

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Amazing story, and as one of the commenters pointed out, Deeds really needs to find a therapist.

3. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Very powerful work.

4. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

He sure does. Gosh, what a powerful piece and such a sad story. As he's being brutally attacked by his son, he tells him he loves him. I can't even begin to grasp the physical and mental pain Deeds feels.

5. Meatie Pie

Meatie Pie Member

Found myself getting fatigued as a reader about halfway through. Think it could have done the same job with about a third of the words.

Powerful, sad story to tell.

6. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Thank you for commending that to our attention.

7. SecretSanta

SecretSanta Member

That was a gut-wrenching read. Thanks for sharing, Moddy.

8. LWillhite

LWillhite Member

I politely disagree, Meatie.
    I thought the continuing onslaught helped the reader feel more like Deeds, who clearly can't escape his thoughts for any length of time.

9. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

The block of exposition illustrating support from the public was nice, but it didn't really take the story anywhere.

10. joe

joe Active Member

I think that whole passage showed how, no matter how well-intentioned, there's nothing anyone can do or say to ease his pain. And I didn't have a problem with how long that passage was; to me, the continual well-wishing just ratcheted up the uncomfortableness for the reader, giving a small glimpse into how Deeds must feel all the time.

Thanks, Moddy.

Draft saved Draft deleted