1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The War Within: One More Step at a Time

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by alleyallen, Jan 31, 2008.

1. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I know with the political divisions on this board that there are some people who despise Garry Trudeau and Doonesbury, but has anyone ever seen or read "The War Within"? If not, I would highly recommend it.

For one thing, it's an incredibly collection of strips dealing with longtime character B.D. and emotional issues he faced following being wounded in action in Iraq. As funny as Trudeau is, he was praised for the effective and even gentle way with which he handled the topic.

Second, proceeds from the sale of the book go toward Fisher House, a very worthy cause indeed.

I know...the book was published in 2006, but it was only recently that I stumbled upon it. If you've never read it, please take some time to check it out.

Also, does anyone have a family member struggling with PTSD? I was diagnosed with, I guess you could call it a mild case, of PTSD and that was one of the reasons why I'm no longer in uniform. Although not confined to those who were in the military, PTSD is a serious issue and I'd urge everyone to reach out a kind hand to anyone suffering with this.

Thanks.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Trudeau's war work has been noble -- and inspired.

We are grateful.

Draft saved Draft deleted