1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Walkman...Good Times

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by qtlaw, Sep 18, 2008.

1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Got over the Sony status symbol early and switched to much more reliable units made by Aiwa. Made a rule to never spend more than $30 on one, because they would inevitably shatter when dropped or get lost.

Still keep a very small Sony AM/FM unit that runs on one AA battery in my bag in case I need to monitor the local broadcast of a game.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Aiwa sounds really famiiar. Did they make a really small no-frills Walkman? Cause that's what I had in the last couple years of HS.

3. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

I used a Walkman up until 2000.

I'm 28. Someone please shoot me, preferably in the lower leg.

4. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

They had a full line of them, including some high end stuff. I had an Aiwa recording unit that I got at Nobody Beats The Wiz that cost about $120, discounted. Of course, it was broken in no time. Shortly after that, my $30 spending limit went into effect.

5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

For you youngsters, the Walkman came out in 1979 and it was around $100 bucks which was huge then but it was the only alternative to carrying your boom box around. There were no knockoffs for a couple of years.

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

My walkman only played mixed tapes, Green Day's Dookie and Deep Blue Something. It was weird.

I still use a discman.

7. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

I kept it real, homie.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Never bought a Sony till a Discman. Bought my first walkman-type knockoff at Alexander's in Flushing, N.Y., in 1984. Had just moved out there for my first job out of college. It got me through a quiet, lonely first three weeks when all i had was a pillow and two quilts and a flip-chair to sleep on in my apartment.

It also got me through so very many subway rides to midtown for work and back.

Three years later I got a much higher-end Panasonic that could also be used to record interviews. Those were the only two tape ones I had. Then I went through about five disc players before getting my iPod two years ago.

I used to have a pretty damn good Denon discman (with remote) and little portable, battery-powered speakers for hotel rooms on the road.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Sony Discmans were even bigger pieces of shit than their Walkmans. My dad won a Discman at work when I was a freshman or sophomore in HS and gave it to me (haw haw, take that sis!). I immediately went out and bought something I'm too ashamed to admit Dokken's "Under Lock And Key." Imagine my surprise when, after two listens, the damn thing started skipping like crazy. I took out the CD and it had a neat, giant circular scratch near the center of the disc.

I figured it was bad luck and bought another CD. It wasn't. So the first six or seven CDs I ever bought all skip on track two. I finally came to my senses and bought a no-frills reconditioned CD player (at a JC Penney outlet store) and hooked it up to my stereo. Never had another problem after that. Nor did I ever have a problem with the various CD walkmans I bought in subsequent years.

I think I threw out most of the Discman-era CDs. Fuck Sony. Hard.

10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

My uncle was a VP at Colgate's when the Discman came out and he had a pile of them in his garage they were using as promo items and he gave me one. An absolute pile of shit, it skipped incessantly on every CD I tried. I gave it to my brother who put it in his Camaro with some adaptor he'd found. It was stolen less than a week later when somebody broke into his car. They didn't touch anything else. He was glad to be rid of it too.

I went through a bunch of Walkmans too. They either jammed or broke in a thousand pieces if I dropped it. Best one I ever had was a Panasonic that was a real horse and was easily the loudest one I ever owned.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I got a Sony Sports walkman (the yellow one) when I was eight or so. I used it until I got my first MP3 player about eight or nine years ago.

It still works great, not that I have any reason to use it.

12. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I've had my Discman since my junior year of college, and I use it every day. A few months ago, it started tweaking on me -- the volume is temperamental and won't go higher than four. Other than that, though, it's been fine through all the drops on the pavements.

Draft saved Draft deleted