1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Walkman...Good Times

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by qtlaw, Sep 18, 2008.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I remember my first Walkman. I loved skiing down the moguls with it. Unfortunately, the snow got into it.

Your memories?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

I dropped mine in the toilet :(

3. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Mine was a newer version, and for some reason, it started eating my tapes. Bad use of allowance money.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

Sony Walkmans fucking sucked. I swear they broke in like a week. I had much better luck with any random cheap-as-dirt Walkman I'd buy at Caldor's or Ames. There was also a really sharp red Walkman that I bought at K-Mart that lasted me a good long while.

The red one was the exception: During HS, I went thru a couple Walkmans a year. Which was no big deal since they were so cheap by that point.

Other than those bastards breaking, though...great memories. I listened to my walkman day and night: On the bus to and from school, while running, before bed and, of course, on the bus ride to track and XC meets. Ratt and Warrant got quite the workout senior year. I remember we weren't supposed to have Walkmans even in our locker. Now I hear from my wife tales of students walking thru the halls with an iPod in one ear and a cell phone on the other.

Funny, looking back on it, how advanced we thought those things were. I've been listening to my iPod constantly since I got it and it's hard to comprehend a time when we weren't able to scroll to any song we wanted on something no bigger than the palm of your hand.

Oh yeah and then there was the time I was listening to my Walkman and walked/danced in on my awesomely hot step-sister stepping out of the shower nekked. [/David Silver]

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

1993, walking laps at Hancock College letting Pearl Jam's "Ten" amp me around the track time and again.

6. Angola!

Angola! Guest

You ran cross country? So much makes sense now.

7. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Walkmans were great in that they were the cutting-edge technology of the 1980s, and allowed music to be portable (instead of the crappy solid-state transistor radio I remember from my really young days).

The bad thing about the Walkman? They were the worst-made pieces of crap I've ever seen. I actually swore off buying Sony products because they were so bad. The headphone jack would usually go out within months. And if the headphone jack doesn't work, you're screwed.

I'd go through a Sony Walkman in 6-9 months. I remember my excessively-cheap folks buying me a Kmart knockoff one year, and I used that one for 3-4 years without any problems.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

My mom bought me my first walkman for my 10th birthday. She really couldn't afford anything fancy, so she bought me one that was just a radio, no tape deck.

Eventually, I wore out several with tape decks. Dropped them, lost them, etc. The tapes also took a beating as well.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

I knew it wasn't just me!!

10. KG

KG Active Member

It was so great to have a walkman and not have to worry about having my playskool tape player in the basket of my strawberry shortcake bike anymore. Seriously though, I might have been riding on a Strawberry Shortcake bike, but I was listening to Metallica. What a weird kid.

11. i remember when i got my first walkman. i was 12. i think the cheapest combo tape/radios were like $60 at sears. (don't ask me why, but my family bought everything at sears.) so i bought the knockoff instead.

i thought i was so cool.

of course, i thought i was even cooler when i had my discman which played my naughty by nature cd nonstop for, like, months.

12. The Granny

The Granny Guest

[​IMG]

And it's all I ever needed.

Draft saved Draft deleted