1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Walking Dead (Show & Comic)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by spikechiquet, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

I wasn't bothered by waiting three scenes. I think that was probably needed, considering it was a six-month layoff. Needed to re-build the tension from last season.

Now, if they waited a whole episode and did it next week, that would've pissed me off.

2. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

That's how I feel, especially after they told us we'd know in the season premier who it was.

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

They told us they would pick up right where we left off, which was true, but it was also deceptive. It suggested we would find out who the victim was quickly. Yet another example of the show runners playing unnecessary games with their audience.

4. KYSportsWriter

I don't remember them saying it would be "quickly," only that we would find out in the episode.

5. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Not that I can prove it...but I did say something like "So how many flashbacks will we get before they show who actually dies?" to my wife about 10 minutes before the show started.
    The Glenn kill was a great nod to the comic.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So why did Negan go for a second victim?

I thought the show was unnecessarily gory and played stupid tricks with the audience.

I also think Negan seems like a really promising villain, but they kind of missed the boat a bit. He never really seemed rational or reasonable. Always felt like he was just screwing with everyone.

If they made him let Rick's gang think everything was going to be OK then he pulls the bat out, he'd seem more sinister and dangerous.

7. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I think Negan wasn't going to pop Glen until Daryl punched him. He wanted to show that a challenge to his authority would have consequences. He took out Glen because anyone is willing to sacrifice themselves but they don't want to do something that will sacrifice their loved ones. The next time someone wants to be a hero they'll think twice if it means they watch loved ones die.

Ace likes this.
  8. outofplace

I was avoiding going to deeply into it for a couple of days to avoid spoilers, but this is the spoiler-friendly thread anyway.

Regarding the gore, Glenn's death mirrored the comics, right down to the bulging eye. If you are going to do it, I agree with sticking to the source material.

Negan is screwing with everybody, but there is logic to his behavior. It is all about controlling through fear.

Think of the resources he put into herding Rick's group to that spot. He was demonstrating his power. Remember, the goal is to break them to the point that they will serve him without question, to make sure his army gets larger and that they will no longer be a threat.

The first killing with the bat was punishment. He wants them to still be able to gather for him, but he can't let them get away with killing so many of his people. The first murder is the price.

He also told them everybody gets one free mistake. That was used up when Glenn spoke up for Maggie. So once Darryl hits Negan, Negan has to take further action or look weak in front of his army. He sells himself as being a man of his word. That was the logic behind the second murder.

Edit: Spartan did a good job of explaining why it was Glenn and not Darryl that Negan killed.

Ace and spikechiquet like this.
  9. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

It's OK...you'll like Negan once he takes Alpha's head. :) That should only take like 4-5 more seasons! LOL

10. KYSportsWriter

I'm reading through this part of the show in the comics right now. The scene with Glenn meeting Lucille was as intense in the show as it is in the comics, at least from my view.

That kill and when Carl lost his eye are two moments that stick out to me as extremely well executed in the show.

11. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

I haven't read the comic but on the face of it, this seems like a stupid plan by Negan. He's a really cynical guy but he seems to think that human goodness will prevail over sheer survival instinct.

At best, he gets one or two gatherers, as the rest of the group figures Daryl is as good as death anyway and flees. It's a big (albeit zombie-filled) country after all. At worse, he's set free a whole bunch of hardened survivors who have a lot of motivation to see him dead.

12. outofplace

Maybe, but this seems to be how Negan built a big chunk of his army, by intimidating and breaking useful people so they can serve him.

I think the Season 6 finale made it fairly clear that running would be a challenging option for them.

By the way, here's a little something I missed in Sunday's episode. Abraham managed to say a very subtle goodbye to Sasha once he realized what was coming.

The Beautiful Walking Dead Gesture That Viewers May Have Missed - CINEMABLEND

KYSportsWriter likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted