1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The VP Derbies -- Talk Is Cheap. But . . .

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Ben_Hecht, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Conservatives, other than most Evangelicals, don't like Huckabee at all. He's VERY weak on foreign policy, plays class warfare, raised taxes etc. See this week's cover to National Review.

http://nrd.nationalreview.com/

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That may be one of the first times you and I have agreed on anything... Bayh would be a nice choice.

3. Mizzougrad96

The only wow pick for Obama would be Hillary, unless for some reason he convinced Gore to go after his old job, which will never happen in a million years. Biden would be an inspired choice, but he probably has too much baggage. Bayh is a safe pick, and Indiana could be a big state in November.

I think McCain will pick Pawlenty, even though Romney is probably the smarter choice. I sort of hope he picks Romney even though I'm not a huge fan.

4. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

Pawlenty is not an inspired choice at all. He's a solid conservative, but he is not interesting or inspiring. Biden would slap him silly in a VP debate.

5. Mizzougrad96

I would agree with that. I've always respected Biden a lot. I just think he's too much of a loose cannon that Obama won't take the risk.

Pawlenty doesn't excite me for a second. If McCain is serious about winning this thing, he needs to pick Romney.

6. Guy_Incognito

Biden wouldn't whip anyone. He could be standing by himself and he's just as likely to do himself damage as good.

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I tend to agree with you, Guy, but he sure did clobber Rudy with one sideways line.

My only addition to the Biden speculation -- and I don't think he's on the ticket, though I think he's in line for a high-level cabinet post, and has been grooming his son to defend his Senate seat in preparation for that -- was that Obama went out of his way to defend Biden in the debates way back in the day when the moderators brought up the race question.

8. Guy_Incognito

Rob Deer

9. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

Biden can come across as a bit of a windbag, but I think that may be kind of the reason they're looking at him. He can be Obama's attack dog and take on John McCain at his level since they've worked together in the Senate for a long time. That would allow Obama to stay above the fray in terms of his rhetoric. Plus, Biden is a plausible CIC. Sebelius is wonderful but it's hard to imagine her as president.

10. Mizzougrad96

Biden would be a great, great choice.

11. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

I don't think McCain will pick him, but here's a nice piece on the real Bobby Jindal:

http://www.thenation.com/doc/20080721/fernandes

His health care follies:

His poor record concerning Louisiana's African-Americans:

His poor voting record:

He's just as out there as the Huckster on some issues.

Not to mention, the guy has basically rejected his ethnic heritage by changing his name (to Bobby after the youngest kid on the Brady Bunch--makes you want to puke, doesn't it?) and calling himself an all-American kid.

12. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

And he took part in an exorcism.

Draft saved Draft deleted