1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The VP Derbies -- Talk Is Cheap. But . . .

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Ben_Hecht, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Huckabee would piss off moderate republicans like myself...

2. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

......Who would still vote for McCain because (a) he's a moderate (b) he's in charge and (c) he's running against the most liberal main party presidential candidate in recent memory, if not ever.

Huckabee would at least help shore up a base that really is indifferent to McCain.

But from what I've read it is Romney........

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I'm sure the $$$$$$$ Romney could bring in is an enormous temptation for JMac.

But, then, the fact that John still can't stand the guy, comes into play . . .

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think the moderates should be a group that matters a great deal to McCain... There are a lot of Hillary supporters that aren't sold on Obama and are considering McCain...

I think putting Huckabee on the ticket would change that...

5. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Huckabee and Jindal demonstrate that being crazy doesn't mean you always act crazy. I can't imagine how anyone would consider either of them to be people that should run this country.

Okay, I can see crazy people thinking that they should run the country, but nobody else.

6. Bru

Bru Member

Re Webb: I understand the baggage he carries re his views on women and the military...but he brings some items to the table that could help Obama. First of all, a woman might still have to ponder: Will McCain and the Republicans be any better on women's issues? Dubious at best. Moreover and crucially, Webb's military resume undercuts the argument that the McCain forces will make about Obama's military inexperience.

Webb is also a white male Southerner, which might help in a couple of spots.

Virginia has a Democratic governor, Tim Kaine, so if Webb would become Veep, Kaine could appoint a Democrat (maybe himself) to succeed him. Kaine himself, an early Obama supporter, has also been mentioned as a Veep possibility.

7. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Yeah, but you can't expect women to think straight when they're all emotional.

8. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Does anyone REALLY think that many of Hillary's supporters will stonewall Obama come election day, or the conservative base to McCain? They may not be crazy about the choices, but they're super not crazy about the other guy. And we've marginalized third parties and their voters enough that unless there's a superstar in that mix, they're not going to be a port in the storm. And I don't think Bob Barr, Chuck Baldwin and Cynthia McKinney's going to break through.

9. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

It appears as if the "agent of change" is seriously considering dusting off career politician (whose career ended like a decade ago) Dick Gephardt and putting him on the ticket.

Are we this devoid of good people to run this country that we constantly fall back on the same relics all the time?

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

On Intrade, no bidder is willing to take less than 19-1 on the guy. But if you want to hit the available offers, you can get plenty of 10-1, right now.

11. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

Nice try, but it won't be Gephardt.

12. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

And Schweitzer seems to match up on policy (especially energy) so they would be on the same page.

Draft saved Draft deleted