1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The VP Derbies -- Talk Is Cheap. But . . .

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Ben_Hecht, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Alas, Daschle's none too "change"-y.

2. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

While I like her, I'm guessing the pick won't be McCaskill cause she's a dem senator from a battleground state. I would love to see Sibelius on the ticket, though.

3. Another governor that I had forgotten: Brian Schweitzer of Montana would be a great pick for Obama from what I've seen of him. Seems to have that NASCAR dad appeal Mark Warner was/is famous for. Could he deliver Montana? Don't know. But I would think he would be a big help with the rural white male in general.

I never liked Daschle all that much when he was majority leader ... I like Daschle as WH Chief of Staff in the Obama Administration.

4. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

10 3/4-1? What sort of bookie lays THOSE kind of odds? If you had to have that figure, wouldn't it read 43-4?

And I'm guessing Clark's not going to be it after Obama repudiated Clark's attack on McCain's war record.

5. I don't think it will be Webb for the same reasons Diabeetus mentioned about McCaskill. Don't want to risk potentially losing a senate seat in a see-saw state.

As for McCain, he'll lose my vote if he picks Willard for the ticket.

6. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

Schweitzer would be the BEST pick, but alas, I haven't heard his name mentioned much. The focus seems to be on people with national security/foreign policy/military experience.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Fred? :D

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Pardon. Was translating on the fly, and thought odds would be more indicitive than market bids based on a winning payoff of 100.

9. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

No worries. Saw 10 3/4-1 and was like "never see THAT before"

10. Willard "Mitt" Romney.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

McCain won't be able to find someone with any sort of national profile that won't tick of some faction of the GOP since the party has pit evangelicals against big business against immigraton hawks against national security hawks. I'd go with Romney if for no other reason to re-set the GOP's platform and give the party someone decent to rally around over the next four years. Who else is the GOP going to rally around if McCain loses? Boehner? McConnell? Gingrich? Jeb Bush?

And if I were McCain I'd name someone now instead of waiting for Obama to name his. From what I've seen, McCain could use some help on the stump.

12. Honestly, what is the downside to Huckabee for McCain? He seems to be the one who could actually help with conservatives.
    Obama can't pick Webb. He'd hurt more than he'd help.
    I'm still pulling for Richardson, though I don't think that will happen.
    I'd be OK with Hillary, but she certainly wouldn't help the "change" theme. (Yes, I know Richardson isn't exactly a Washington newbie either)

Draft saved Draft deleted