1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The VP Derbies -- Talk Is Cheap. But . . .

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Ben_Hecht, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Toteboard faves, by party, according to current live "buy" bids posted on Intrade:

Dems:

Jim Webb 5-1
    HRC 5 1/4-1
    Wesley Clark(!) 10-1
    Claire McCaskill 10 3/4-1
    Kathleen Sebelius 10 3/4-1

GOP:

Flipper 24-5
    Tim Pawlenty 5 1/2-1
    Sarah Palin 7-1
    Huck 8-1
    John Thune 9-1

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I actually think Hillary may be the pick by default now that Edwards and the Ohio governor are out.

I think McCain will pick Pawlenty by default as well. I don't think anyone seems to want either job.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Flipper wants it, bad. But if he gives it to him, Mac is going to have to supress his gag reflex, throughout the fall.

I'd love to see Webb get it, if he can make his way through the mysogonist flack.

4. Mizzougrad96

I'm going to feel stupid as soon as I get the answer, but who is Flipper?

Romney?

5. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

'Drivin Miss Kathy'...all the way to the White House.[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. Mizzougrad96

Webb would be exactly what Obama doesn't need if he's wooing HRC supporters...

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Yowsah. Mitt, it is.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Don't disagree, but if negative repercussions weren't an issue, he's dead solid perfect.

9. Mizzougrad96

I agree. I really like Webb. But trying to keep women out of the military isn't going to win you fans among Dems.

10. Mizzougrad96

Does Romney really want it? I thought he had taken his name out of the mix, which could mean anything, but when he bowed out as gracefully as he did so early on, I think it was so he could be on the ticket and then run for President in 2012 if McCain only stays in office one term.

Everything I read says McCain wants Pawlenty, but his advisors want him to pick someone who either has a national presence (Romney) or someone who can deliver a swing state (Probably no one).

I don't think Romney can deliver Massachusetts and I don't think Pawlenty can deliver Minnesota.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Romney wants it, bad. He's eagerly thrown himself into the mix. If he performs, he positions himself as a prominent front-runner for '12. And the
    potential fund-raising chops he can bring to the table are not insiginificant.

12. Mizzougrad96

I'm not a huge fan of his, but he would probably be the best pick for McCain.

Draft saved Draft deleted