1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The voice in my head that the rest of the voices don't know

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by The Big Ragu, Feb 17, 2015.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

So I just got an explanation of benefits from my health insurance company. They denied the claim (I can't figure out why, but that is secondary on this one) for my recent hospitalization for acute exacerbated chronic paranoid schizophrenia.

It's kind of bugging me out. Someone could have made a false claim using my identity, but what I suspect is that the insurance company erroneously coded someone else's claim to my account, in which case that diagnosis is now attached to my medical records because some hit a wrong key.

It's not like I plan on applying for a national security clearance anytime soon, but still. ... It's bugging me out, probably way more than it should. That is just not a good diagnosis to have mistakenly attached to your medical records. Am I overreacting by being upset?

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Which one of you is writing this?

Double Down and cranberry like this.
  3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The board has been shut down for less than this.

4. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Now you're going to have to carry a disclaimer in your wallet for the rest of your life. :mad:

5. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Which one of you is the gold expert?

LongTimeListener likes this.
  6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

At least there's no background check for guns, yet, so stock up while you can.

7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

In that case I shall have to kill you.

Shall I?

Oh, I don't think so.

Well, what do I think?

8. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

I don't think you're overreacting at all. I'd stay on the insurance company to investigate it. No way would I want that diagnosis attached to me.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I spoke with them this morning. The person I spoke with said they have gotten a bunch of similar claims from the provider (Google told me it is a Medicaid managed plan provider) and they are dealing with it. She said she was sending it to the person who was investigating it for them, and told me to "disregard it," since they didn't pay the claim.

To which I said, "I can't just disregard that. There is something attached to my medical records, which I have no control over, wrongly saying I was hospitalized because of a serious psychiatric disorder." So now I have to stay on top of this, and it won't be resolved anytime soon, of course.

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Are you absolutely sure about this?

Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
  11. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

This reminds me of that Seinfeld episode where Elaine gets labeled in her files as a "difficult patient" and it spread to every doctor she tried to see.

Except, this is a hell of a lot more serious, especially with electronic medical records becoming more prevalent. This isn't just some random piece of paper in a file in your primary care physician's office.

This could affect your ability to buy guns, get a job, buy marijuana, access the darknet, so, hell yes this is serious. I would push them to fix it and threaten to get a lawyer to make sure it is fixed. Probably some moron millenial did it to you because they don't take their job seriously.

You've got to get this fixed, or your only alternative is to move to Montana, live off the grid, and start learning how to play with explosives.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Are you suggesting he sounds paranoid?

Draft saved Draft deleted