1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Virginian-Pilot is seeking a sports writer

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Virginian-Pilot, Oct 9, 2007.

1. Jersey_Guy

Jersey_Guy Active Member

I think it's quoted in another post in there, at least some of his stuff is.

2. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

It was quoted in full on post 68

3. mschneider12

mschneider12 New Member

Any idea how long they're keeping the application process open? I sent one in, just curious when to expect (or not to expect) to hear anything.

4. Jay August

Jay August Member

Anybody who has applied heard anything from this place?

5. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

More hideous than Ben Seaver,

The "going postal" originated in my area. The father of a high school coach at one of the eight schools my paper covers was the postal worker who went on a shooting spree. His son is well liked in the area and his wife has been at every major sporting event for that school I can imagine.

6. mschneider12

mschneider12 New Member

Yeah, I heard back a couple days ago. Got an e-mail... "..even though you have a very impressive background, we have selected candidates who more closely match our needs. We'll keep track of your resume profile in case of future openings..." something along those lines. I was curious if that's a generic thing that everyone got, or if I should take some consolation that I got something back. In the original post on here, it said they weren't contacting everyone, so who knows. Either way, I am not taking it too hard... I'm just out of school (just have an internship and 4 years as a stringer under my belt), so I figured they were looking for someone with more experience... I just applied for the heck of it.

7. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Haven't heard anything, but my e-mail was down part of Friday.

Hope that wasn't an omen.

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I know the Pilot has sent e-mails out to people asking them to submit clips.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Did you?

10. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I know three people who have been asked to submit clips.

I believe all three have.

11. From the initial V-P thread, a Moddy classic:

Brass = not impressed.

How did I miss this the first time through? UGH.

Note to self: Listen to Moddy's suggestions.

12. This couldn't have waited about six more months. Man.

Draft saved Draft deleted