1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Virginian-Pilot is seeking a sports writer

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Virginian-Pilot, Oct 9, 2007.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

New sports editor here, if folks remember the fiasco of the last Pilot thread.
    Good people. This is a great job and they will get flooded with resumes.

2. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Over on the resumes, under on the salary (though not by a lot, if I had to guess), and this is probably the job that was opened up because of the last Pilot thread. They'll probably make the best hire they can, then give her or him the beat that best suits them (person this hire is assumably replacing covered Norfolk State and did some GA work).

And you should apply, even if you don't think you'll get the job. One thing I learned, then forgot, then relearned the hard way is that often times the big papers will cull hires for other positions from the finalist pool of the previous opening. So if you don't get this job, but they like what you have to offer, you'll get put into contention for another writing or a copy desk job. Apply if for no other reason to give them a reason to think about you, even if but for a fleeting moment.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Investigative stories on dog fighting, perhaps?

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

What exactly happened on the last Pilot thread?

5. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Reader's Digest version: The last Pilot thread was on their now-filled sports editor position. A person with a lot of insider info on the five finalists spilled some pretty detailed beans, not pulling punches on some of the candidates. He made the mistake of doing so from a work computer, they found his entry and he resigned. This was back in the summer, I think? This is most likely his position.

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Wow! How the hell did I miss all that?

7. Orange Hat Bobcat

Orange Hat Bobcat Active Member

They already published a very long, very thorough story on dogfighting on a Sunday in July. Ran on 1A, called it Blood Sport, if I recall correctly. Good read. Might be available online still.

8. Jersey_Guy

Jersey_Guy Active Member

The internet archive is a wonderful thing:

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/38470/

9. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

HUGE difference between the V-P and Bakersfield. Despite some minor flaws, the V-P still looks very classy and professional on a daily basis. Bakersfield just looks like someone vomits Berry Capn' Crunch and Kahlua on pages everyday.

10. turnovers

turnovers Member

Best job application advice I've read on this board in quite a while.

11. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I don't care for the V-P's most recent redesign, but it's slowly growing on me (or I've become more acclimated to it). Still don't care for the art deco-inspired masthead surrounded by a canyon of white space, or the Budweiser script font for the day of the week, but they're top-end designers, and I'm quite not.

Bakersfield is a cluster. I saw a few of their A1s at a design conference a while back, and I complained that I had no idea what I was supposed to focus on. I don't care how cutting edge you want to be, a dominant element should always be in the mix.

12. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

Alas, the famed post was taken down by the guy.

Draft saved Draft deleted