1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Virginian-Pilot is seeking a Sports Editor

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Virginian-Pilot, Mar 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Posting "I like Jack-in-the-Box" is an opinion.

Posting "I think this would be a good job" is an opinion.

Posting "Here is confidential personnel information that I only know because I have inside knowledge" is not an opinion. It's a fuckup.

2. boots

boots New Member

If nothing else, this shows just HOW DANGEROUS this site and others can be. Mike Gee one of the good guys in this business, lost a teaching gig because of it. Now this.

3. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Who the hell is Mike Geem?

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Don't blame the fucking site.
    I like Mike - we've met in person and he's a good contributor here. But the site didn't cost him the gig. HE cost him his gig and he'd be the first to say it. The site didn't force him tomake that post.
    Same thing with this guy. He didn't use his head. He posted something he should not have posted, he got found out and he resigned. HIS doing, not the site's doing.

The site is not dangerous. People are dangerous. To themselves. I've urged caution on here since we opened for business. Some heed it. Some don't.

And boots, if that's me being on my soapbox that you hate so much - tough shit.

I'll say it again. Use your heads, people. This was no "kid" in Norfolk. This was an experienced reporter who should have known better.

5. boots

boots New Member

Get a grip Muddy. As usual you have things assholed backwards.
    No one blamed the site. I merely said it can be dangerous. What part of that did you not understand?

6. Moderator1

I do? You said the site can be dangerous. It is NOT THE SITE buuts. It is the people posting. You posted it again while saying I had it assholed backwards. The site is not dangerous at all. Ever. In any way. Unless you do something stupid.

7. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Moddy, I don't think Boots is blaming the site. It can be dangerous is somebody is stupid enoough to post sensitive personnel info on this site. That's what you call self-inflicted danger. It's never a happy scene when someone loses a job. But that guy definitely brought it on himself.

8. Moderator1

Anything can be dangerous when you are stupid. I know he's not "blaming" the site but calling it dangerous is just as stupid. You are correct - self-inflicted danger. The site is a vehicle for the stupidity.

AOL is "dangerous" if you send an inflamatory e-mail that gets in the wrong hands.
    Myspace is "dangerous" if you post personal information and it leads to trouble.

Use your head. A good rule here and in life.

9. boots

boots New Member

Tar you are correct.
    Moddy this if for you. You can delete it if you like. IF you are going to PM, be man enough to accept them back. Otherwise don't PM.
    Thanks

10. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

SportsJournalists.com doesn't kill people. I kill people.
    Come to think of it...
    I'm going to get a SportsJournalists.com ban added on to some handgun bill.
    "STOP THE SALE OF HANDGUNS. STOP SportsJournalists.com."
    Got a nice ring to it.

11. Moderator1

boots, if I thought it was going to be one PM I'd accept them from you. But it's hundreds, just like e-mail. Which has also been blocked. Now move on or add this to your locked threads list.
    You called the site dangerous. Twice.
    It is not.

Hell, no need for this bullshit anymore. The fireworks are over, a hire has been made, boots is being boots *** we're done here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.