1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Vietnam War

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by lcjjdnh, Sep 18, 2017.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Not even any still photographs to work with. It'd be tough for Burns' style.

Vombatus likes this.
  2. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I even think his work suffers a little bit when he has video available. His style is most effective when dealing with still photography.

3. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I was thinking the same thing.

4. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

True. But if anyone could pull it off....

5. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I recently watched Ric Burns' 10-part doc on New York (think it's on Amazon for those interested). Was really good and I enjoyed the early parts the most (because I knew the least about that time period), when there aren't photos/videos available. Ric of course uses many of the same methods as Ken. For those early years, it was maps, drawings, paintings of the people mentioned, talking heads. Was effective there at least, including the section dealing with Revolutionary War and NYC. But it's definitely not the same as when there are photos available.

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Ready for another night of two depressing hours of history. It's must-watch TV but it makes me ill to know how much Johnson, McNamara, Westmoreland, Nixon, Melvin Laird and basically anyone associated with the war lied their asses off while kids died for a hopeless cause. I'm a couple nights behind but the scenes with Denton Crocker's sister and mom are heartbreaking. He has now been dead for 51 years and you can still see how it impacts his family.

One of the best scenes was when Wayne Morse essentially called Maxwell Taylor a liar to his face in a Congressional hearing, and then told him to STFU (in so many words) when Taylor tried to smear him as a "commie." His anti-war stand cost him re-election by 3,000 votes in 1968 when scumbag Bob Packwood hammered him for his anti-war stance.

7. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

That doc is fantastic.

8. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

I'd watch a Ken Burns doc on Billy Joel's conquests. He'd participate, laughing with bemused wonder the entire time.

9. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Last night was good; didn't know that Nixon was a proven liar even before he took office.

I guess tonight's installment includes Kent State.

10. albert777

albert777 Active Member

Ken Burns' next big project? How about the Transcontinental Railroad? Start at the end (or the middle, if you will), with the driving of the golden spike at Promentory Point, then bring the story forward from the first steam engines and carry it into the mid-20th century. Because, really, it was the railroads that stitched North America together (and I would include the Canadian National in the dialogue), and, also, made the demise of the native tribal culture as it existed before 1860 inevitable.

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

That would be a good one.

12. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

He already well covered this ground in "The West."

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
Draft saved Draft deleted