1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Verlander-Upton Picture "Scandal"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Aug 31, 2014.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Haven't a lot of them posed nude or appeared nude in films already? I saw Kirsten Dunst's name on there. No mystery there, if you've seen "Melancholia."

The Lawrence focus comes down to a few things:

(1) She's the "it" girl right now;
    (2) She's the type that would probably never appear naked in a movie; and
    (3) People have really, really, really wanted to see her naked. Because she's incredibly attractive.

I've seen some column inches spilled about how this is "slut shaming," and I'm probably not seeing a lot of the worst of the Reddit-type sludge out there. But it doesn't necessarily strike me as that. What it strikes me as is: Jennifer Lawrence is incredibly hot. There are naked pictures of Jennifer Lawrence made available. Because Jennifer Lawrence is incredibly hot, men want to look at them.

2. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Other than Upton and Lawrence, I can barely recognize anyone.

3. RecoveringJournalist

You can argue that Lawrence is the biggest star in the world right now. Supposedly she does nudity in her next film, but she hasn't to this point.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

That movie will break all kinds of records. Publicity!

5. RecoveringJournalist

I think it's some art house bio she's doing with Bradley Cooper.

She's the real deal. Hot as can be, probably more likable than any A-list actress of my lifetime and crazy talented.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I'd put Aniston well above her for likable. Watch some interviews with Aniston -- she's down to earth and funny. Doesn't mean she doesn't have issues like every person has issues.

7. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Lawrence is overrated.

8. RecoveringJournalist

Aniston has gotten better lately. For several years after her divorce, she was the most frigid interview out there. Probably understandable given the way her marriage ended and the amount of hype out there when she was dating Vince Vaughn.

9. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

You're insane. That woman is the hottest thing on the planet right now. I defy you to show me someone more attractive with a better public perception.
    It doesn't exist.
    As for why Jennifer Lawrence seems to be the focus on the coverage here, I'd venture to guess it has to do with the reasons discussed above and the fact that the majority of the photos posted are of her and Kate Upton.
    Factor in the fact that Upton 1.) poses nearly-nude all the time and 2.) is far more attractive WITH clothes than without and it makes sense that most would focus on Lawrence when doing their coverage of this story.
    Oh and she's an Oscar winning actress so it's much more unexpected that these photos exist of her than Upton.
    If you had told me Thursday that there are photos of Kate Upton with jizz on her back, I wouldn't have been surprised. If you told me there are nude shots of Jennifer Lawrence, though, I'm rushing to the computer.

10. RecoveringJournalist

This.

I also like that Lawrence came out immediately and said the pictures were her.

I wonder if any of the women here are worried about what this will do to their careers. I'm guessing Grande is since she denied the pictures were real.

I thought SI had some rule about not using models who had posed nude. Granted, this is not the same thing. I just remember there was some model a decade or so ago who said SI wouldn't use her because she had posed for one of the Playboy college issues. I think that rule is only loosely enforced depending on how big of a star you are. I know Stephanie Seymour, Elle MacPherson and Cindy Crawford all did Playboy, but I think they did SI first.

11. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

You are incorrect. Off the top of my head, all of the following are better looking, not to mention pretty good actresses:

-- Emma Watson
    -- Naomi Watts
    -- Scarlett Johannson
    -- Natalie Portman
    -- Amy Adams
    -- Mila Kunis
    -- Zoe Saldana
    -- Carey Mulligan

12. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I'm glad that Jennifer Lawrence is fighting back, because I agree with this writer that this isn't a "scandal" -- it's a sex crime.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2014/09/01/jennifer-lawrence-nude-photo-leak-isnt-a-scandal-its-a-sex-crime/

These photos were meant for private use. And then someone stole them. If you look for these photos and get all excited about them, you are bad, and you should feel bad.

And if these photos somehow threaten careers, then everyone should feel even worse.

Draft saved Draft deleted