1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Veepstakes Tournament (UPDATED: Round 2)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PopeDirkBenedict, May 26, 2008.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Webb, since he has an acute sense of awareness of just what Fredo is.
    Richardson -- though there's no way he's getting it.
    Stickland -- since Big Ed makes me gag, even though Rendell would probably do BO more good.
    Bayh, for the moment.

Pawlenty. Career enablers don't deserve additional chances.
    Jindal -- though it's clearly not his time, just yet. Sorry, Fredo/Turd Blossom/Fatman, no Flip-Floppy, Asset-Strippy, Anything-To-Winny for you, ever. Bite it.
    Since I'm can't select "Not On Your Life", will go with Lieberman -- though this is as far as he gets.
    Crist. Alfred E. Neuman has more gravitas than Thune.

2. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

How is he less ready for the #2 slot than Obama is for the top of the ticket?

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

GOP≠Democratic Party

They usually (with the exception of W) like 'em a little older.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I've noted this, before: Dems making a national prez run without ever having been part of a ticket? Such animals have NEVER won the White House, if they're past sixty. NEVER doesn't mean IMPOSSIBLE, but it means IT'S NEVER HAPPENED.

Doc is quite correct. GOP skews older. As if you couldn't tell . . . though this year provides a rather extreme example.

5. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Hillary's got the same chance as a snowball in Hades.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Her last chance is to weasel her way onto the Obama ticket. But BO's crazy
    if he opts for that sustained water-torture. If HRC thinks she'd get a White
    House office as VP in a BO administration, she's smoking crack.

7. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Do you think, after the smear campaign she ran against him, that Obama would ask Hillary to be his Veep?

I think she goes back to the Senate.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

She continues to suck hind (behind some three-quarters of the Dems) in the Senate Seniority Derby, which is a considerable consideration, but if she gives a flaming shit about the country (as opposed to looking to serve herself), she could do the most good by going back to the Senate and being the best wonk she can be.

9. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

Round 2....

Democrats
    1. Sen. Jim Webb (VA) vs. 9. Fmr. Sen. Sam Nunn (GA): Need a moderate Southerner to balance the ticket. Virginia is 50-50 with or without Webb. Nunn, on the other hand, locks up Georgia and might deliver 3-4 more states. Nunn
    5. Gov. Bill Richardson (NM) vs. 4. Gov. Kathleen Sebelius (KS): Diplomat vs. another new face. Obama needs some foreign policy help. Richardson
    3. Gov. Ted Strickland (OH) vs. 11. Gov. Ed Rendell (PA): Same demographics at play here. Rendell a bigger name. Rendell
    10. Sen. Evan Bayh (IN) vs. 15. Fmr. Sen. John Edwards (NC): Bayh too close to Clinton. Edwards

Republicans
    1. Gov. Tim Pawlenty (MN) vs. 8. Sec. of State Condi Rice: Rice too close to Bush. Pawlenty
    5. Gov. Bobby Jindal (LA) vs. 4. Fmr. Gov. Mitt Romney (MA): Jindal is better off passing, but still the right pick. Jindal
    3. Fmr. Gov. Mike Huckabee (AR) vs. 6. Sen. Joe Lieberman (CT): McCain needs to throw a bone to conservatives, even though Huckabee likes big government. Huckabee
    7. Sen. John Thune (SD) vs. 2. Gov. Charlie Crist (FL): Florida leans Republican, but it becomes a lock if Crist is picked. Crist

10. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

Nunn "locks up Georgia?"

I'm not saying you're wrong -- I have no idea -- but I find it hard to believe a guy who's been out of politics for 10 years would make THAT big a difference as a vice-presidential candidate, especially in a state that's pretty reliably red. Besides, people vote the top of the ticket, right?

As I said before, it seems that if Obama wins Georgia or any Southern state, it'd be because of huge black turnout on top of his urban liberal support, not because of his running mate.

11. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

Nunn is Old South. And that carries a lot of weight in many parts of Georgia, especially below I-20.

12. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

Fair enough. That's a lot to expect from a guy who's been out of the game for so long, but if he's "Old South," I'll go with it.

Draft saved Draft deleted