1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Veepstakes Tournament (UPDATED: Round 2)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PopeDirkBenedict, May 26, 2008.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Re: The Veepstakes Tournament

I disagree... I think the whole Obama camp despises the whole Clinton camp and vice versa... Michelle Obama was recently asked if she would support Hillary if she won the nomination and she wouldn't say...

A lot would have to happen for Clinton to wind up on the ticket. It would probably be a good move by the Dems, but I don't think it will ever happen...

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Hil can blame her multiple verbal blunders on time pressure/playing from behind, but like many chess masters in similar circumstances, she's up against an opponent who played this year's game better than she did, and she'll have to accept the consequences.

3. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Gonna go ahead and cut to the chase and pick Crist for McCain...

Webb for Obama.

4. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Democrats
    1. Sen. Jim Webb (VA) vs. 16. Fmr. Rep. Tim Roemer (IN): Gimme for Webb.
    8. Sen. Chuck Hagel (R-NE) vs. 9. Fmr. Sen. Sam Nunn (GA): Best matchup of the round. Goes to Nunn because he could swing Georgia.
    5. Gov. Bill Richardson (NM) vs. 12. Gov. Janet Napolitano (AZ): Nappy in an upset. Richardson will cause mass defections to McCain from the Clinton camp.
    4. Gov. Kathleen Sebelius (KS) vs. 13. Fmr. Sen. Tom Daschle (SD): Sebelius pulls Clinton's women back in.
    3. Gov. Ted Strickland (OH) vs. 14 Sen. Chris Dodd (CT): Tough one, but Strickland can pull in a bigger state.
    6. Sen. Joe Biden (DE) vs. 11. Gov. Ed Rendell (PA): Rendell didn't burn all bis bridges to the Obama camp. Good move.
    7. Gov. Tim Kaine (VA) vs. 10. Sen. Evan Bayh (IN): Bayh sucks in more Clinton backers.
    2. Sen. Hillary Clinton (NY) vs. 15. Fmr. Sen. John Edwards (NC): Clinton, if only because Edwards is been there, done that at VP.

Republicans
    1. Gov. Tim Pawlenty (MN) vs. 16. Mayor Michael Bloomberg (NY): Pawlenty. Not the most ideologically pure, but cons hate Bloomy.
    8. Sec. of State Condi Rice vs. 9. Gov. Mark Sanford (SC): Rice, to lure bitter Clinton women.
    5. Gov. Bobby Jindal (LA) vs. 12. Gov. Jon Huntsman (UT): Jindal. New Indian $ tops old Mormon $.
    4. Fmr. Gov. Mitt Romney (MA) vs. 13. Fmr. Homeland Sec. Tom Ridge (PA): Cons love Willard, and consider Ridge soft on abortion.
    3. Fmr. Gov. Mike Huckabee (AR) vs. 14. Gov. Sarah Palin (AK): Love Palin, but the new baby with Down keeps her out.
    6. Sen. Joe Lieberman (CT) vs. 11. Rep. Paul Ryan (WI): Zell Lieberman has the necessary hate for Obama (never mind that Obama backed him against Paul Lemont).
    7. Sen. John Thune (SD) vs. 10. Fmr. Rep. Rob Portman (OH): Thune's conservative and just as pretty as...sorry, wrong Portman.
    2. Gov. Charlie Crist (FL) vs. 15. Hewlett-Packard Exec. Carly Fiorina: Fiorina in an upset. Crist loves the ladies.

5. Gold

Gold Active Member

The JFK people didn't love Lyndon Johnson, but that happened.

Just providing a historical perspective

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Exactly. Sometimes you have to work with somebody you hate to get what you want. Happens all the damned time in politics.

7. Grimace

Grimace Guest

I asked this question before and I don't think I ever got an answer:

When's the last time a VP pick made a difference in picking up a state the presidential nominee wasn't favored in or a state that was a tossup? Someone mentioned Johnson and Texas. And since then????????

I admit I'm not up on my VP history and anybody that can enlighten me, please do.

8. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

I was the one who mentioned LBJ and I think it was the last time a veep was put on the ticket specifically to win a big state and managed to pull through. But if Kennedy had lost Texas, he still would have become president.

I was surprised to find that Clinton only won Tennessee by 4 percent in 1992. So under your question, Gore qualifies.

The last time the veep won the election -- as in, the home state was close and without it, the ticket loses -- was probably in 1888 when Benjamin Harrison picked Levi Morton and barely won New York. NY was Florida and Ohio rolled into one in the 19th century. It had so many electoral votes and was constantly a swing state. NY and IN were big swing states, which is why you saw so many vice-presidents from those states. Between 1868 and 1920, nine vice-presidents came from those two states.

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Quick and dirty . . . I'm not going to navel-gaze during this round:

Dems:

Webb
    Nunn (no GOPs, pls)
    Napolitano, only because it's not going to be Bill.
    Daschle, because Sebeilus is a horrid public speaker, and we've seen enough on-the-job training for a lifetime.
    Strickland
    Rendell, who'll be shortlived, in this tourney, but Biden is cabinet-bound.
    Bayh, by elimination.
    Edwards, though neither will get a smell.

GOP:

Bloomy.
    Rice (though she's not long for this tourney).
    Jindal, as a short-term courtesy.
    Flipper, since Ridge is such a pantyweight.
    Huck (ditto Palin).
    Ryan (ANYTHING but Joe).
    Portman (Mr. Smarmy lives at least one more round).
    Crist (Fiorina's 'way out of her league . . . so's Charlie, I know, but . . . )

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

11. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Democrats
    1. Sen. Jim Webb (VA) vs. 16. Fmr. Rep. Tim Roemer (IN)
    8. Sen. Chuck Hagel (R-NE) vs. 9. Fmr. Sen. Sam Nunn (GA)
    5. Gov. Bill Richardson (NM) vs. 12. Gov. Janet Napolitano (AZ)
    4. Gov. Kathleen Sebelius (KS) vs. 13. Fmr. Sen. Tom Daschle (SD)
    3. Gov. Ted Strickland (OH) vs. 14 Sen. Chris Dodd (CT)
    6. Sen. Joe Biden (DE) vs. 11. Gov. Ed Rendell (PA)
    7. Gov. Tim Kaine (VA) vs. 10. Sen. Evan Bayh (IN)
    2. Sen. Hillary Clinton (NY) vs. 15. Fmr. Sen. John Edwards (NC)

Republicans
    1. Gov. Tim Pawlenty (MN) vs. 16. Mayor Michael Bloomberg (NY)
    8. Sec. of State Condi Rice vs. 9. Gov. Mark Sanford (SC)
    5. Gov. Bobby Jindal (LA) vs. 12. Gov. Jon Huntsman (UT)
    4. Fmr. Gov. Mitt Romney (MA) vs. 13. Fmr. Homeland Sec. Tom Ridge (PA)
    3. Fmr. Gov. Mike Huckabee (AR) vs. 14. Gov. Sarah Palin (AK)
    6. Sen. Joe Lieberman (CT) vs. 11. Rep. Paul Ryan (WI)
    7. Sen. John Thune (SD) vs. 10. Fmr. Rep. Rob Portman (OH)
    2. Gov. Charlie Crist (FL) vs. 15. Hewlett-Packard Exec. Carly Fiorina

Draft saved Draft deleted