1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Veep Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by writing irish, May 11, 2008.

1. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Whether McCain survives his term or not, and I'd expect he would, I think it's highly unlikely he'd run again in 2012. So if he wins, he's basically chosen the GOP presidential candidate for 2012.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Both good points, but at 72 (as of election day) with a cancer history, while he certainly would be expected to survive out his term, my guess is the actuaries would say there's probably a 20-25% chance he would not.

On the other hand, if he did win and arrived at 2012 with no additional health problems, my guess is he'd run again. He appears a lot sharper than Reagan did at 71, that's for sure. Of course, Reagan was functionally senile from about the age of 55 onward.

3. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Um, how about Dick Cheney again? :)

4. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

It may or may not eliminate Chester Arthur, but it will keep Bea Arthur eligible for the ticket :D

5. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

He would, though, have access to tremendous medical care, and every time he had a mole that looks a little funny, he'd get a complete workup. That would probably keep him going another four years, anyway. But I have a hard time thinking people wouldn't think twice about voting (in 2012) for someone who'd be 80 at the end of a term.

I've always found it a little interesting that LBJ died Jan. 22, 1973, two days after what would have been the final day of his last term, if he'd run and won again.

6. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I wouldn't vote for John McCain with Bea Arthur's dick.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

If I were you, I'd head for the bumper-sticker printing plant. :D :D

8. Boy. those are two unremarkable lists.
    If it's Sam Nunn, I'm back to voting for Kodos.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I like 4 on the Dems side.

10. Yawn

Yawn New Member

The GOP list sucks the convention floor dirt.
    The Dems makes sense only with 2 and maybe 5.

11. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Well, you've ruled out any sitting Senators. Who would you pick for Obama?

The best picks: McCain-Portman; Obama-Panetta

What is most likely to happen: McCain-Pawlenty; Obama-Biden

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I don't get Thune at all.

I get Portman, because of his geographic orientation, but broad enchantment with wingnuts/Fredo toadies seems to be down, just a bit.

And you've got to be kidding, re Kaine. He's a foreign-policy cipher, and anyone running around yelling "Abstinance!" at older teenagers would be better off serving as a Jonas Brothers roadie than running for national office.

Draft saved Draft deleted