1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Veep Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by writing irish, May 11, 2008.

1. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Hooray, another political thread! I thought we could use a catch-all thread for discussion of the GOP and Dem VP possibilities.

For my own thoughts, I don't really care who the Republicans pick, though it'd amuse me if they made an awful choice.

For the Dems, I really wish that a foreign-policy expert would be Obama's running mate. And I've mentioned elsewhere that I think, for various reasons, Richardson would be a better SOS than VP, so that person would ideally be someone other than Richardson. That said, I can't come up with someone who fits that description off the top of my head, so maybe someone with more knowledge could chime in.

In other news, Sebelius' Archbishop is telling her not to receive Communion because of his anger at her veto of an anti-abortion bill. This is a sorry development, but I hope it takes some of the wind out of the Sebelius-for-VP sails. Really, I hope Obama doesn't pick her. She doesn't have anywhere near enough experience in national and international matters to be a strong VP for him.

2. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

If Hillary pulls off the miracle I think it's all but given that she would select Evan Bayh, the senator from Indiana. I think Obama should consider the same name even though they are from the same general area.

Bill Richardson would be greeted with about as much excitement as a another Police Academy flick.

As odd as it sounds, and the chances are slim since he's already said he would retire, but if I'm Obama, I'd give Sen. Chuck Hagel a call. He's basically an independent as this stage and believes that the country needs to full government reform.

A lot of people seem to think McCain is going to tab Romney.

3. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

I was under the impression that Romney and McCain truly can't stand each other.

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

McCain clearly can't stand Bush. It didn't stop him from genuflecting at President Stupid's altar.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It really bothers me when Catholic leaders say Catholic politicians shouldn't take communion due to their abortion stands, but don't have a problem when they sign off on executions. Which is the more direct sin?

Saw some buzz about Strickland in Ohio for Obama. Bill Nelson might be a decent pick out of Florida.

6. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Hell, Reagan and Bush I didn't like each other. Kennedy and LBJ, same thing. That's what I want. Unity at the top. Shit. Romney is a Wall Street suit that understands middle-class America about as well as Jenna Bush understands non-frat college girls. As a likely GOP voter in November, this ticket would revolt me.

7. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Someone on one of the other threads (OK, it might have been d_b, but bear with me) mentioned some scuttlebutt about Carly Fiorina for the Republicans, which would be a total joke. But it got me thinking: What if one side or the other actually went into the business world and grabbed a big name from there? I don't really have an idea of their political leanings, but what if someone convinced, I don't know, Bill Gates or Steve Jobs to do it? There's certainly name recognition, if nothing else.

8. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

Bill Nelson is the classic unremarkable politician who was incredibly fortunate to run against Katherine Harris for reelection or he could have been in jeopardy. There is not a single soul in the state of Florida who would not have voted for Obama already that would do so because of Bill Nelson. Not only that, but with a GOP governor in Crist you would be giving them both Florida Senate seats with a Nelson VP win. Not a chance.

9. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I'm not in the camp that thinks Florida's up for grabs. McCain plays to that state perfectly, both because of his age and because of the particular style of conservatism he practices. Crist is a lot like him, but he ain't gonna be McCain's choice.

10. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

There's talk that Hillary is trying to force her way onto the ticket. I feel like this is going to get nasty. I mean, nastier than it's gotten already.

A Nebraska superdelegate said yesterday that she's run a "Dairy Queen soft serve campaign so far" and Obama has no idea what he's getting himself into. I agree that the Republicans will be nasty this election system, but I wouldn't say she's run a soft campaign by any means.

11. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I adore Ted (only political campaign I've ever worked was his first Congressional one), but I can't fathom somebody who was that big of a Hillary supporter getting on the ticket.

12. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

Sebelius is a slam dunk for Senate in 2010. However, keep an eye on her battle over a coal-fired power plant there in Kansas. If she somehow wins that battle, it will prove she's a formidable presence.

Draft saved Draft deleted