1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The UWire Top 100

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Apr 27, 2009.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Congrats to those who made this list of top young journalists. Save the snark, please. There's plenty of that elsewhere.

http://www.uwire100.com/

2. TheMethod

TheMethod Member

Congrats to them. It's too bad they're good at a bad business. And that ain't snark.

3. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't (at least) one of our own on that list?

4. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

It's too bad that of all the good, young college journalists I run into weekly around these parts, the worst of that group is included and the others are not.

Congratulations to those on the list who are deserving of such recognition.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I recognize one of our own, yes.
    But I also agree with zebracoy. There are some in all these lists who don't deserve it -- maybe not because of talent, but tude.

6. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

???

7. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

On the one hand, it's gratifying to see so many young journalists with so much potential.

On the other hand, it's also disheartening to ponder the state of the industry they're trying to get into. Some of them may get in not because they're the best young journalist out there. They may get in at the expense of someone with experience and institutional memory because they're cheaper.

I loved working with and mentoring budding journalists. I still enjoy it when I'm allowed to do so. But with so many jobs being slashed at so many media outlets, I have to wonder if journalism is even viable.

And that's not snark. That's honest.

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Again, am I supposed to feel better if one of these people takes/has taken my job?

9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

There's a girl that was on the list from my school. She has an impressive body of work from all the alternative publications at the University which is a refreshing change of pace. There's a stigma at my alma mater that you only write for those rags if you can't write for the Daily Paper which couldn't be more false. Lots of great writers at the other publications but they don't get their due respect because of the politics involved with the big paper.

10. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

The University of Kansas (6) has more than ...

Mizzou (2)
    Syracuse (2) and
    Northwestern (1) combined.

That doesn't seem right.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Right, no. Appropriate? Yes. While they turn out some fine candidates, admission to Mizzou, NW and Syracuse do not guarantee great journalists

12. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

I'll put it a different way.

I have a hard time believing that 15% of the best student journalists in the country can be found at three institutions: Kansas (6), Indiana (5) and Penn State (4).

There are a lot of major universities with solid journalism programs without even a single representative on that list. Again, that makes me question the selection process just a tad. (Not that it matters. There are no jobs out there for young journalists anyway.)

Draft saved Draft deleted