1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The USADA vs. Armstrong Thread (report now released)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Jun 13, 2012.

1. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Re: USADA files charges against Armstrong

So you think rules should be applied even-handedly? Even when there's no PR bang? Even if you're not on Jeff Novitzky's "gotta get him" list?

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Some were offered immunity, I'm sure - and others had already been caught and disciplined themselves so have nothing (further) to lose.

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

You have to think of the Children. Or some BS like that

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Think of the Livestrong wristbands.

5. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

He was competing at the world championships this fall. Maybe its too late to qualify for the Olympics now

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

He competed in the Xterra World Championship, which is an off-road tri. It consists of 1.5k swim, 30k mountain bike ride and 10k trail run. While that's the same distance as an Olympic tri, it has absolutely nothing to do with the Olympics since that is a road tri.

He's been running half-distance (1.93, 90, 21) as he worked to the Ironman (3.86, 180, 42.2).

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Cyclists drug, and have for years. But only one cyclist turned his success in cycling and his partnership with a drug manufacturer, the very drug he's accused of using, into a several hundred-million dollar, private jet-setting, personal empire. And only one cyclist allegedly used some of that money raised from thousands of charity events worldwide, to pay off the UCI by buying them a "drug testing machine" for $200,000. And only one cyclist has gone to the ends of the earth proclaiming his complete and utter innocence, despite all the evidence to the contrary.

8. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

I would venture to say that worlds are more prestigious than the olympics anyway. Most people could tell you the Tour De France winner, but not the road race gold medalist

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Bravo.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Not when comparing off-road vs. on-road, which is what you're doing.

The Ironman and Olympic tri are held in much higher regard around the world than the Xterra.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

How does this work? These events voluntarily agree to a suspension if charges are brought?

As much as I'd like to believe he was clean, I don't. But, suspension upon the filing of charges doesn't sound fair to me either.

12. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Lance would give his left nut to get out of this. Oh, crap. Scratch that.

Draft saved Draft deleted