1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The USADA vs. Armstrong Thread (report now released)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Jun 13, 2012.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Re: USADA files charges against Armstrong

As for the "everyone was doing it" argument.

I had a lengthy conversation with a former Lance teammate a while back. He made the argument that because Lance was the best tactician, the hardest training, the most fearless of heart and the most fit man on the pro tour, he was the best rider in the peloton, and everyone knew that. And everyone knew that on top of all that, he was juicing, and was using the top-shelf stuff. Therefore, everyone else had to juice just to stay in the ballpark.

Would no one juice if Lance didn't? No, the rider wouldn't say that. But he said far fewer would have.

He also said it's widely regarded that the pelton last year was the cleanest in decades, and for proof look at the slower time on the historic climbs on the main Alps and Pyrennes mountains. He also argued that's why Levi and Horner and other older guys were still winning...not because the were juicing, but because they were applying science to their training in ways guys in their late 30s never did before.

2. jaydaum

jaydaum Member

That's what he gets for breaking Sheryl Crow's heart.

All she wanted to do was have some fun.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Seems a bunch of people here are telling USADA, "If it makes you happy...."

USADA: "Please! Think of the children!"

Whatevs. And the concept that Lance spurred doping is bullshit. Cyclists have lived and -- literally -- died from doping for decades. In the long run, it matters not a bit if he is found guilty or not. Cycling is way off the public radar again. A decision on him will have no bearing on what those who are still competing do. As with Clemens and Bonds, there are those who have put in the sweat equity to see things through though the respective sports have long moved on and no one save a few keyboard crusaders give a shit anymore.

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I never said Lance spurred doping...but he made it essential.

5. dooley_womack1

First of all, assuming he's guilty, which none of the hundreds of very public tests have found him to be, Second of all, assuming that Mercyx and Hinault and other champions through Tour antiquity, when testing was surely less complex and less regular, were simon pure is folly. The dozens upon dozens actually caught doping through the decades would probably imply some sense of essentialness, doncha think?

Y'know, I sure don't know if Lance had some way to beat the system that was not above board. But I think most people can be comfortable with the concept that in the cycling tours, doping is the system. But then again, if USADA and WADA don't go for a big takedown every now and again, they probably get all existential about their reason for being, so why not go for it? Not as if there's anything else for them to do.

6. joe king

joe king Active Member

Isn't triathlon an Olympic sport now?

7. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

8. dooley_womack1

cj, that was intentional. I don't pass up the gimmes.

9. Gold

Gold Active Member

I remember calling the ADA when I was covering a bicycle race on a Saturday. The people onsite weren't authorized to talk, and they gave me a number of someone who gave me another number. They didn't return a call so I wrote something like, "Calls to the ADA weren't returned". It wasn't a controversial story.

On Monday, I got a call from the ADA flack. She demanded a retraction because she called me back a day after the story ran in the newspaper. I gave her my editor's number and told her she didn't understand my job or her job.

I am somewhat sympathetic to Lance Armstrong for a couple of reasons. He was tested more than a PhD candidate and they found nothing. Also, surviving cancer and going on to be successful is more than impressive. If he's a cheater, he's the best cheater ever.

10. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

My problem is that it's a witch hunt that's been going on for more than a decade now, and it's really got nothing to do with Armstrong (from my point of view). Here is someone who's had charges and allegations leveled against him on two continents, gone through hundreds of tests, been brought before legal hearings that require a burden of proof and still come out in the clear. Now, you want to bring it up again seven years after his last victory in front of a body whose only burden is "because we said so." Just give it a rest already.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

There is no such thing as a witch. That is what makes witch hunts a farce.

Lance Armstrong, on the other hand, is everything that is being alleged. No one is looking for witches, or something that doesn't exist. Bicyclists do dope. He is one who doped to great effect; there is no debate about it.

And he has been a defiant, antagonistic and threatening dick toward anyone and everything that tried to tell the truth about what they know about him. He's a major asshole,and not very sympathetic to a lot of people.

You might not personally have a problem with the fact that he doped, but do you at least see that there is little honor in achieving what he has with the help of banned substances, and then lying through your teeth about allegations that you used? On top of it, he has a team of lackeys who try to destroy anyone that suggests they actually saw him doing it and that he was the ringleader pushing his teammates to use -- right down to him confronting Tyler Hamilton in person and threatening him?

I don't care that he doped. But at this point, if he had any guts and honor, he'd just be honest about it. If he wants to make the case that everyone doped, and he wasn't the one pushing it it harder into the sport, fine. Let him do that instead of attacking everyone with lawyers and PR people and nasty statements.

But I really can't stand the term "witch hunt" with regard to these things. There's no such thing as a witch. There is such a thing as a bicyclist who uses substances. Lance Armstrong was one of them.

12. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

"was one of them" is the key phrase ... when they start bringing up Indurain and the giant cock LeMond, I'll say go after Armstrong. When people say "little honor" it's like they think doping started and ended with Armstrong. Doping in cycling began when cycling itself did. To continue to hound one individual is a witch hunt because, as you say, there aren't any witches, but the source of the term comes from the historical fact that there were witch trials requiring only an accusation and not evidence.

Draft saved Draft deleted