1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The USADA vs. Armstrong Thread (report now released)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Jun 13, 2012.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Re: USADA files charges against Armstrong

This could go on longer than Roger Clemens' perjury trial!

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

A pox on all of their houses.

3. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Hope you weren't trying to persuade anyone with this. reminiscent of JR/Shotglass with the Penn State thing.

4. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

He persuaded me. I agree. At this point, I don't give a rat's ass what he was using--whatever it was I'm guessing most everyone else on the tour was doing it too. They had their chance to nail him, indeed they've taken as many shots at him as any athlete I can ever remember. He just had federal prosecutors conduct a two year investigation, convene a grand jury, and still couldn't come up with charges. When the feds dropped that investigation, my thought was, thank god the Armstrong bullshit is finally over. But now we're gonna start it up again with USADA? And who'll come after him after USADA fails? Does it ever fucking end, or are we just come gonna keep finding new agencies to go after him until someone finally nails his ass?

It's a waste of time and money to still be chasing this white whale in 2012.

5. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

USADA doesn't want Lance showing up at the Olympics

6. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

At the Olympics as what? In what event and when do you think that's gonna happen? Is he competing in the Olympic trials for any events in London? Can you provide any actual evidence indicating that's even a realistic a possibility, or are you just blowing smoke out your ass there?

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Give me a fucking break. You really comparing the importance of the two?

8. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Not trying to persuade anyone to anything. I was just stating my personal opinion, and I stand by it.

9. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I think it was more a take regarding a fandork attempting to persuade others, regardless of the evidence or how much of a fool said fandork is making of themselves.

The two situations might be comparable in that way. The issues, obviously, are not.

And:

http://www.newsy.com/videos/lance-armstrong-faces-new-doping-charges

10. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

I can see both sides of this debate. I'd love to see that smarmy SOB be shown publicly for the fraud that he is. But the reality is, it's cycling and they're ALL doped up to the gills, plus it's been so long now that it seems pointless to continue to pursue it.

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

It's ridiculous how long stuff like this -- as well as the Barry Bonds case -- takes. By this time, it's all anti-climatic. OK, so maybe you take his name out of the record book. People still know who won and that it was tainted. Hell, the whole sport is tainted and it's going to take something MAJOR for it to regain any credibility again.

12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Funny how the semi-informed find all kinds of conspiracies when it comes to Lance.

Well, this semi-informed procycling nut has a few of my own:

1. Novitsky (sp?) had plenty to charge LA with, but convicting him would have been a hard task, given the public's love of the guy, the lack of a smoking gun, and the guvmint's poor court track record. That said, Novitsky was going to the mat but LA pulled some strings, via his attorney, who used to be partners with Novitsky's ultimate boss. So when that boss figured out the Novitsky was going to press charges, he stepped in and made everything go away. Now, if the GOP wanted to be pesky, some House member could open an investigation into all this and probably cause some trouble for the Democrats; however, it's hard to say that LA himself is not Republican.

2. Tygart couldn't care less about Lance's Ironman pursuits. That's about as solo a pursuit as there is.

3. Tygart CAN care a ton about conspiracy, about systematic cheating in sport, and about PED use that can lead to medical issues or even death. That's why he's picked up where Novitsky left off.

4. All roads point to one place: One Amgen Center Drive, Thousand Oaks, CA. Tygart went to great lengths to say Lance has been using Amgen's EPO for years. Of course, Amgen is the highest-profile supporter of American cycling, thanks to its support of the Tour of California. It's hard to believe that Lance, via 3 doctors and a trainer all based overseas, was using a drug made by Amgen without anyone at Amgen knowing about it. Especially if Tygart can prove the story that Lance was using fresh supplies of a drug Amgen allegedly removed from the market years ago. Is Tygart hoping Lance -- or one of the doctors -- will roll over on someone at Amgen?

Anyway, read this comprehensive story about the charges and tell me again why it's ok to let systematic top-down cheating like this go on without consequences:

http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/06/news/usada-letter-paints-dark-picture-of-armstrong-era_223925

Draft saved Draft deleted