1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Urbanator strikes again

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Aug 25, 2013.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Because Saban is consistent. He's the devil you know. Meyer is the most two-faced prick in college football. He will retire (twice) to spend time with his family, then ditch them for Bristol (remember the famous tweet from his daughter ... "ESPN, can I have my father back.") Florida gets turned in for secondary violations and he denies all knowledge, despite the fact that he controls all aspects of the program and nothing would have happened without his say-so. He takes no ownership of the three dozen arrests of Florida players on his watch. The name "Urban Liar" wasn't created in a vacuum.

2. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Saban never faked heart disease.
    Saban never hid behind his family or religion.
    Urbey just makes your skin crawl in a way none of these other coach scumbags do.

3. BenPoquette

BenPoquette Active Member

It amazes me how much U-M (there, his initials are the same as Michigan's) gets people going. Has to be a lot of jealousy and a lot of fear. He's a bully? What college football coach (or even high school coach) doesn't have some bully in him?

If a writer stood up to him I guarantee he would back down and play it off like the joke it is. Of all the things to dislike him for, this is reason No. 2,367,224.

4. 3_Octave_Fart

Pick up your straw men and put them back in their package when you're done playing.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

He can throw the scouts out of practice if he wants to make an issue of it. The teams can either back their scouts, or fold and tell them to wear something else, which, ultimately, they probably would do. They're not going to risk not knowing about a player that they may invest millions of dollars in because their scout didn't want to conform to the tyrant coach's wishes.

Best thing,of course, would be if all the scouts banded together and wore blue for the next practice. He throws them out and looks like a total jackass, and the teams have their scouts' backs. Especially the ones whose primary color is blue.

6. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

I like that idea. Of course it doesn't take much for UM to look like a jackass.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, I would tend to agree with that assessment.

8. Mizzougrad96

Bob Knight is a saint compared to Urban Meyer.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Bob Knight was always great copy. Meyer is a DULL bully.

10. Mizzougrad96

A friend who covers college football on the national level predicted when Meyer took the OSU job that he would eventually be fired from that job for something that happened when he was at Florida.

I thought he was crazy when he said it. Now I'm beginning to wonder...

There are tons of coaches who fall into the "Egomaniacal Control freak" category, but I don't think there are too many who would be considered just a straight-up bad person across the board. I think Meyer may be at the top of that list...

11. 3_Octave_Fart

Let's not forget when Meyer turned in his former Gators program for a false recruiting violation.
    After they'd given him a $1-million going-away bonus when he left with the fake angina.
    This guy is one of the worst people in sports.

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I would put Knight in the same category as Saban. At least they're consistent. They're not hypocritical about being overbearing control freaks.
    Meyer wants people to believe he's sincere and caring and all about developing young men and building character. But there's a mean streak a mile wide in this guy.

Draft saved Draft deleted