1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The (Upper Sandusky, Ohio) Daily Chief-Union hiring a sports/news writer

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by lmcmillan33, Jul 30, 2012.

1. lmcmillan33

lmcmillan33 Member

I can understand that, but that sounds like more of a result of understaffing for a paper a little bigger thant his one. We've got two people for five high schools and usually only a couple of pages. You are right that Fridays definitely are the toughest day. Saturdays can be hard if you have a late Friday and something early on Saturday, which happens every now and then.

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Why does the JJobs ad hide the fact you'll work 48 hours a week?

3. lmcmillan33

lmcmillan33 Member

I don't think it's "hiding" anything. It's just a few-sentence description of the job.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

You never know with some papers.

And Stitch is right. Make a screen capture, just in case.

And I did this type of shift myself when I worked at an afternoon daily, although I didn't stay as late as 2 a.m. on Friday. If you're single, it's hard, but somewhat doable. I usually did take a nap during the day time, although sometimes it was fun to be out and about in the afternoon while everyone else was in their offices.

But married with kids on this shift is another issue entirely.

5. NJM33

NJM33 New Member

Where are you at in the process? Still screening, or have you begun making calls already?

6. lmcmillan33

lmcmillan33 Member

I personally have reviewed some of the applications I've received. Our publisher was supposed to be here today and I was planning to discuss them with him and take the next steps, but he's pushed it back to tomorrow. I am hoping we'll make calls for interviews by the end of this week.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Did you at least get to take Sat-Sun off after working the long shift on Friday? I would think that would be the flip side. But, yeah, no doubt it was challenging.

8. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

You certainly wouldn't at this paper, where they'd expect four to five hours on a Saturday.

I notice that the question of what the pay actually is was studiously ignored.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Oh, please. When they get ready to make an offer, they'll mention salary. (Although one guy made me an offer without ever doing such. I hated the fact I actually to ask.) Otherwise, it won't matter and just provides fodder for more negativity on the board.

Draft saved Draft deleted