1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The upcoming AJC list

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Wait a second - Doug, former SE in Newport News, is the GT writer?
    He's no longer an editor?

2. John

John Well-Known Member

So Chip is no longer covering Georgia?

What's he doing, and who's covering the Dogs?

3. Deep South Hack

Deep South Hack New Member

yes and yes and don't know...

4. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

The AJC now covers Dixie like the pooh.

5. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

Was the reorg Ramos' parting shot? If not, no wonder he spent the past year trying to get out.
    Who made the decisions? And that's just "a few?"
    NFL to NHL? The G-Braves might outdraw the Thrashers.
    And I thought 1HP was f-ed up.
    Lewis...what the hell happened to your paper?

6. Oy vey ist mir!!!!!

So, what's going to happen to Larry Hartstein and Ken Segiura? They were doing a bang-up job on Tech.

7. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

http://blogs.creativeloafing.com/freshloaf/2009/04/14/john-kessler-no-longer-a-food-writer-and-other-news/

http://blogs.creativeloafing.com/freshloaf/2009/04/13/cynthia-tucker-moving-to-dc-and-other-news/

The URL there makes it obvious. They're moving Tucker to D.C. to write about politics. That's an extremely strange decision, given the focus on local and the fact that Cox is shuttering the D.C. bureau.

8. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Also, three of the four remaining bureaus, Cobb, North Fulton and DeKalb, will be closed, leaving only Gwinnett.

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Did they move Cynthia, or did Cynthia inform them that she's headed to DC and they're welcome to keep running her stuff for the right money? I'd look for her to join the Sunday morning talking head circus soon.

As for the AJC, it will cease to be a print daily within 12 months. There, I said it.

10. lisa_simpson

lisa_simpson Active Member

I have to say, I'm a little surprised they're even going to have a Thrashers writer in the fall; with Mike leaving, it seemed a fait accompli that the AJC would become the first North American paper out of an NHL city not to have a full-timer covering the team.

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Won't disagree totally, but maybe a Detroit version. Wow. Just ... wow.

But after what we've seen this year, NOTHING anymore surprises me.

12. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

One writer for the Bulldogs? Wow. Just ... wow. (was typing this as dixiehack was typing his. I swear. I'm no Jayson Blair. Really.)
    In days gone by, the AJC on a Saturday and a Sunday was an absolute must. You wanted — needed — the high school coverage from Friday and the college game previews in Saturday's paper and the recaps and analysis in Sundays.
    There was no bigger kick than to see the score or a recap from my backwater high school on the other end of the state in the AJC, be it Saturday or Sunday.
    Now? To call the AJC a shadow of its former self just isn't enough. Shadows have more depth than this. Apparently, they also will be more tactile in the coming months as well.

Draft saved Draft deleted