1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The upcoming AJC list

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Mike Knobler

Mike Knobler New Member

Tim Ellerbee has been king of high schools coverage for a few years from an editing perspective. He's still there. So is reporter Michael Carvell, who has been covering recruiting. So is Darryl Maxie, who has written extensively about high school sports during his career but has filled a different role lately. (Darryl has been a Braves beat reporter, a Georgia Tech beat reporter, a high schools editor ... He has done just about everything in the department.)

You are correct that part-timers played a massive role in preps coverage; they're gone. I don't know what the plan is going forward.

2. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I don't think it was as much as the AJC released it as it was the local alt-weekly got their hands on it and ran with it.
    From the Creative Loafing story, and this sounds horrific by the way, cut a dude loose right before he retires?!?!?

3. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

I've known Knobler since his Mississippi days. Talked to him just a few weeks ago trying to track a coach down. Always helpful, always a good guy.

Again, we've long since passed the point at which the cuts make any sense at all.

4. Jim_Carty

Jim_Carty Member

Georgetown, as some of you may know, is one of the finest law schools in the country. My hat is off to you, Mike.

But I'll be counting on you and Jeff Carroll (Michigan, another top 14 school) to pick up the tab from your big firm expense accounts when we eventually run into each other down the legal road.

;-)

Congrats and good luck.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Good for you, Mike.

Terry Moore's gone. A "holy fucking shit" moment for this Georgia boy if I ever heard one.

IIRC, Holcomb was most recently the SE at the Gwinnett Daily Post before taking the part-time job at the AJC. Hope that means he already had something else lined up before any of this went down.

Sad to hear about all this.

6. Shifty Squid

Shifty Squid Member

I think you're thinking of Todd Cline, buck. Cline was the SE before becoming editor of the Gwinnett Daily Post. That Todd, incidentally, is also a good guy and an excellent journalist.

But Todd Holcomb had been with the AJC for about 24 years. Was full time before he went part time for reasons that aren't really pertinent to the board. But he kicked major ass on the preps side for years. And he (much like many, many, many others) deserved far better than to be unceremoniously kicked to the curb. The good news with him, though, is his long-time employment there should buy him a pretty significant buyout. Best of luck to Todd on finding something new in that time.

7. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Mike,

If it's any consolation, you did a great job following Craig Custance in the Thrashers' beat.

EF

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Damn. Got my Atlanta-area Todds mixed up. Thanks for the catch.

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Covers Dixie Like The Dew, my ass. :'(

10. Mike Knobler

Mike Knobler New Member

To be mentioned in the same sentence with Craig is quite a compliment. Thanks.

11. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Having worked alongside John Hollis, who we would kid was by FAR the whitest black man in America (he took pride in the ribbing, as well as his MASSIVE drought at the stop I refer to ...), I hate to see my man go. A talented writer, whom I believe led the AJC's Chris Benoit coverage.

Unfortunately, there are no Bennigan's out there any more to drink in his honor tonight.

rb

12. Ain't THAT the truth. A lot of old friends have either been bought out or laid off in the last year, year and a half or so, and the hits just keep on coming.

Least surprising name on that list: Derrick Mahone. I know he couldn't have been happy about being moved from sports to Cobb cops/courts the last time.

Most surprising (to me, anyway): Terrence Moore. Like BBE said, a real gentleman — and perhaps the AJC's most provocative columnist (whether you agree with him or not, he'd usually have people talking).

And if that report about Slockett is accurate, SOMEONE down there deserves a swift kick in the ass, IMHO.

Oh, to go off on a bit of a tangent, Shifty and Buck are both spot on about the two Todds. Fortunately, Cline is still on the scene as the GDP's editor, and I don't see him leaving anytime soon. Hope the best for Holcombe.

Draft saved Draft deleted